computer and sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sir Barfalot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My Buddy and I have been kicking the idea around of trying the sidemount option
we both use a oceanic VT3 air intergrated computer the vt3 is capable of mixed gas and reading up to three transmitters what i would like to now is if you used a transmitter on both regs will the VT3 recognise that you are changing from one cylinder to the other and display the cylinder in use or is it nessesary to manualy change the display each time you change cylinders

Why bother? just mount a couple of glass and brass SPGs on 6"(some people like 9") hoses.

If you're planning any penetrations, be aware the cylinders can take a bit of bashing. It's asking for broken transmitters.

Personally, I also think it'd make your gas management harder to track, rather than easier.

Consider the SPGs. I have tried both 6 inch and 9 inch HP hoses and I prefer the 9 inch myself. You can still use that computer just not the AI option. For what its worth I have owned AI computers before I tried a brass and glass SPGs and I dont miss the computers at all.

6inch HP hoses with SPGs is way easier to manage. Also, it allows you have a hand free while checking gas.

Most computers that can tack multiple gases require you to switch gases to see the new pressure. What I have done is set up one tank as the 'buddy' tank on my Galileo, and it shows both pressures at once. But it occasionally gripes about loss of signal when one reg goes a long time without a pressure change and the transmitter shuts down. Pressure gauges are nice and quiet and reliable. :)

I do occasionally steal my son's Luna and then I can just have left wrist is left tank and right wrist is right tank. But the signal loss griping is still an issue.

Gas management in side mount is fairly simple. Assuming you don't have lateral trim issues, you'd start on one tank, breathe it down about 1/3rd and then switch to the other one, breathe it down 2/3rds, then switch back to the first tank. That leaves about 1/3rd in each tank for a reserve and only requires 2 tank switches. But even with that, the air integration features on your computer are going to get confused.

It's just a lot easier if you just use a pair of SPGs and drop the whole transmitter, air integration idea.

modzs:6256003:
6inch HP hoses with SPGs is way easier to manage. Also, it allows you have a hand free while checking gas.

I agree 6IN are easier but I prefer the SPGs pointing down. Its not very hard to flip them up and take a look to check pressure. I have even tried it with up to four stages and its still not very difficult.

First, as has already been mentioned, the use of transmitters is not recommended in all types of diving. If you are just planning on using this configuration in open water, that shouldn't be an issue. You will have to manually switch gasses on your receiver when you switch regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom