ATX 200 & Cobra washing after dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
I watched a few divers rinse off their gear a few weeks ago and noticed that they placed the dust cover on their ATX 200, disconnected their Coba computers and threw both items (Reg & Computer) into a large rinse tub full of fresh water. I was tought to never submerge either of these items into water without any air pressure in the line to provide a water tight seal. Does anyone else rinse their gear this way? I never submerge my second stage or coba without either been hooked up to my tank. I am right or wrong??

Thanks

AquaGuy

You can submerge gear when it is disconnected from the tank, BUT you must make sure that the dust cap is tight. Do not press the purge buttons while the reg is soaking or water will be allowed to pass back into the first stage. I don't know if the connection for the computer you mentioned is air/water tight when removed...you might want to ask. After diving I disconnect my reg, secure the dust cap and let it soak in fresh water for 1 - 2 days. Zero problems.

and I leave the 1st stage connected to the tank with pressure on. Rinse everything down with a hose. Purge the 2nd stages repeatedly and then let it air dry. Been doing this 2 years with no problems and during my last service of the ATX-200 both stages were clean as a whistle.

Thanks for the advice. The only question still unanswered is does it hurt the cobra to rinse it disconnected? It ships with two plugs which are used to plug each end, but I just thought those where used to keep dust etc out of the computer.

is completely removed from the HP hose either via QD or wrench? I would think it a VERY BAD thing for water to go into the fitting for the HP hose.

Otter, the Cobra comes with an optional quick disconnect from the hose. Once the computer is separated from the hose two plugs are inserted, one into the computer and one into the hose mount.

That said, I rince mine connected to the tank if possible, if not all dust covers are on and after rincing I try to connect to a tank in order to purge.

Sean

The guy I saw did not place any caps on this disconnected cobra. He just disconnected it and threw both ends (reg + computer) into the rinse tank. I assume they give you the caps for a reason?

I contacted SUUNTO and asked "Will it hurt a cobra computer to be immersed in fresh water when disconnected from the air hose using the Quick Disconnect?"

Here is their response.

"Getting water in the pressure sensor will not directly harm the computer, as the pressure sensor is made of brass, but it is of course difficult to dry, and having water/moisture in the sensor for longer periods is not good."Sten Stockmann Product Manager, Diving Suunto Oy

From what he said, it appears that you can immerse a disconnected SUUNTO computer, but, not a great idea as it is hard to dry it.

I will rinse a first stage with water if unpressurized, but rarely soak it, generally I rinse my gear in a bathtub, so I throw everything in then put the first stage on the side and drop the rest into the water.

Well, regardless of if disconnecting the Cobra will do in harm, it certainly won't do any good, I wouldn't disconnect them, especially if they were going into the same tub (if you're worried about salt buildup on the QD I would rinse the hose end and let it dry completely).

Ben

Back
Top Bottom