I Otter Be Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
The swell models predicted 1-2 foot swells this weekend. Once again, they were way off. We had four footers with a short interval pounding us all the way to Marineland. Everywhere we looked we found muddy water. By the time we reached Marineland I had enough "fun" and decided to go home. Along the way we found things to make our day less miserable.
At Pt. Vicente we found five Pacific White Sided dolphins, Lagenorhynchus obliquidens. I hadn't seen any in many years. We remained with them for a few minutes, then continued toward Redondo Beach. About a mile off Vet's we spotted a sea otter. Two have been spotted at Pt. Vicente recently, but this was the first time I had seen an otter south of Morro Bay. We harassed it with Merry's camera for several minutes before heading in to wash the boat. At least we didn't have to fill our tanks and wash gear today.

BonapartesGullLarusphiladelphia.jpg

Bonaparte's Gull, Larus philadelphia

PacificWhiteSidedDolphin1.jpg

PacificWhiteSidedDolphin2.jpg

Pacific White Sided dolphins, Lagenorhynchus obliquidens

Otter1.jpg

Otter2.jpg

Otter3.jpg

Otter4.jpg

Otter5.jpg

Otter6.jpg

Otter7.jpg

Otter8.jpg

Otter9.jpg

Otter10.jpg

Otter11.jpg

Awesome! I had always heard that sea otters were extinct south of Pt. Conception, hopefully they are making a comeback.

Two were spotted at Vet's on Friday. I don't know if they are the same two from Pt. Vicente or if the one from today was part of that couple, but it's great to see them coming back. Fishermen always complain that the otters will devastate the local resources, but the central coast seems to be a lot more pristine than anything in SoCal. I'd love to see what this place would look like if we left it alone for a few years.

So freaking awesome! Lets hope more take the cue of this small group and come join their brethren. Maybe PV can be free of urchin barrens in a few decades :D

Charlie and I dove the Point yesterday. Conditions weren't nearly as good as predicted, but we still got in a much needed hour below the waves. Still editing the photos, will post a report later today.

WE SAW THE OTTERS TOO!! Last Thursday evening at Vet's! I didn't believe Eduardo when he said they were otters as we were walking down the stairs, but as we got closer it was obvious. As we swam out we got within 20-30 feet of them. Very amazing!!

Otter6.jpg

Love this one! Otters are among my very favorite creatures -- so intelligent and playful.

We saw several of them a few weekends ago up south of Shell Beach. I'd never seen them south of Morro Bay before. Really cool to hear they've come so far south!

RAINER,
You were in Shell Beach a part of Pismo Beach?

We see Otters often from shore, in our kayaks and on occasion on the surface while we are diving

The Otters have been in the area for over 10 years..in Pismo and points south. Since that time all the Pismo Clams have disappeared and a large portion of the rest of the shell fish population- they are "cute" but voracious eaters of shell fish.

sdm

We were there (Shell/Pismo Beach) a few weekends ago on a weekend getaway (no diving, unfortunately). Could see them hunting in the shallows from the cliffs. Of course, I left the telephoto lens at home... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom