How long do YOU look for a lost buddy.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fran2bo3

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I thought I would bring up this thorny subject to get feedback from others.
BACKGROUND FROM A RECENT DIVE
We had been to 26m on the first dive, on arrival at the site for a second dive we were told we were anchored on a shelf in 18m with a drop off to 34 on one side. I agreed with my European buddy to stick to a max. of 20m, on dropping in he went straight to 25! I signalled to ascend, he acknowledged and began to follow me, when I looked again he was descending again and disappeared behind kelp. I swam about at 20 to 23 but didn't see him. After a couple of minutes I ascended, did a safety stop and on surfacing saw him 100m away already back on the boat.

When I got there he accused me of abandoning him and wanted to re-start the dive. When both I and the skipper told him the dive was over he started to throw his gear and had to be cautioned by the skipper aboout damaging the hire gear and his boat.

How long do YOU look for a lost buddy and if someone has reputedly plenty of experience how much "mothering" should you give to your buddy?

Actual dive buddies do not need mothering. You did not have a buddy from the sounds of it. When he went 5 meters beyond the planned depth he ceased to be your buddy. When he disappeared on the ascent that was confirmed. You were then under no obligation to look out for anyone other than yourself. Seeing he was back on the boat I'd have signaled I was ok and enjoyed the rest of my dive. He left you from the sounds of it. His loss. Sounds like a hothead anyway.

Also sounds like his experience was in his own mind.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

I do not have an exhaustive dive plan getting in the water, but what to do if separated is a key point. Usually 2 minutes and then surface.

For insta buddies it may be if separated continue the dive. Insta buddies can be unpredictable so I consider my diving solo, and am prepared to dive alone.

Please see my blog "Keep Your Friends Close and Your Buddies Closer." The best thing is to avoid buddy separation through communication before the dive, staying in close proximity to each other, and having an awareness of each other during the dive. This is sometimes easier said than done with an "insta-buddy" and so that is what the blog addresses. In fact , in our next book we devote a whole chapter to rules of etiquette for dive buddies. (The Scuba Snobs Guide to Diving Etiquette, BOOK 2, due out this summer.) For those of you reading this who may feel staying near buddy is a pain, please read the blog, and when it comes out, the book. fran2bo3, you have a lot of diving experience. Apparently your insta-buddy did not (evidenced by his rental gear, his lack of awareness of his depth and location, and indifference to a planned profile). In such a case, I would do a little mothering, even touching as needed. If separation occurred despite my effort, I would look for 2 minutes, maybe 3 if the viz was limited, then ascend. I think you acted properly, and you buddy was completely out of line in every way. I disagree with Jim and Ron as to abandonment, though it is tempting.
DivemasterDennis

Mothering? Nah. Establish the protocol before the dive. Let him know, and follow the plan. If he bails, drops way below max depth, doesn't keep you in sight, etc., NEVER buddy with him again. I wouldn't care if he was gods gift to the diving world that would be the end.

If diving with my regular buddy will look a few minutes, he's competent. If unknown insta buddy usually no more 2 mins then wait on surface, this is discussed before we begin the dive. A failure to follow agreed procedure results in conversation, usually a little grumpy when back on boat/shore, I would then re consider diving with that person again.

To fran2bo3 id have been more than a little pissed in your situation and when he threw a wobbly Id have laughed at him and advised I would never be diving with him again.

With any general buddy, I would look for a couple of minutes, do a safety stop, and then surface.

After the first time I had a 'lost buddy' situation, I decided from then on to always discuss planning thoroughly before a dive. This includes distance from buddy, lost buddy protocol, signals, max depth, when to turn/ascend (with regards to air), and especially the 'don't just shoot up for no reason' rule. I used to always discuss some of these topics briefly, but sometimes the buddy just would forget/ignore important parts.

Now I emphasize the planning and proper communication.

We were trained to look for a couple (2?) minutes and then surface. I can only recall one time when I really lost track of my buddy (my husband). I'm proud to say that I did exactly what I was trained to do, and upon surfacing I yelled to the boat that I couldn't find my buddy and they pointed right at him - he had also surfaced! If I had continued to look for him it could have started a cycle of panic for both of us - me getting further away and deeper - him worrying about me and starting a search, etc. If you and your buddy have the same plan - look for x amount of time then surface - then you'll both do the same thing within a few minutes of one another. If not, who knows what the outcome might be. Having training to fall back on in times of uncertainty gives me great comfort - it works.

Btw, DivemasterDennis, I read your first book and thought it was fun - way too short - but fun! I hope you're collecting stories from this website to incorporate into the next one.

Two minutes. One on the bottom and once on the surface. Then it's off to the boat. I've had it happen a couple times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom