Seattle Area Orca Baiters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear

NOK
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Well, looks like I might actually make a decision any day now about some training. It's narrowed down to 2 different instructors/agencies in the Seattle area. Since I'm coming from far, far away, I will need to secure a place to sleep and shower while I'm there. Since I would rather spend my limited funds for underwater rather than above water stuff, I need reccomendations for the cheapest place in town that does not rent rooms by the hour (i.e. not too scary of a neighborhood:wacko: ) I thought of a hostel, but being a firefighter - I'm well aquainted with dorm type situations and the associated noise and smells that lead to sleep deprivation (i.e. snoring and flatulance:boom: ). I would rather sleep in a tent (which is a viable option, as long as there is a shower available nearby). So anyhow, anyone know of the cheapo motels in the area? The 'net mostly has the ones with bigger advertising budgets...
Thanks

Where exactly in the "Seattle area" that's a pretty big range.

Are you talking SeaTac by the airport, W. Seattle, downtown, Northgate, or something in a surrounding suburb?

Seattle is an expensive area. I took a course from 5th D, Issaquah, and stayed at the Marriott Courtyard nearby. It wasn't cheap, but there are weekly rates that are less expensive than, say, '4 nites'. Depending on your itinerary, that may be an option.

One other option that you may have is to call Mark @ 5th D and explain your situation. (888) 854-3483. There is a slim possibility that some of the regulars may offer you a place to spread out your sleeping bag. They're pretty good folks.
Worth a shot at least.

Otherwise, lodging and per diem is part of the cost of the course...

best of luck.

Doc

Yeah, even at $40 a night, it adds up! I'm hoping to stick around for at least a few extra days to just dive, so I'll inquire about weekly rates. No way to the Marriott, though! I'm thinking more like Motel 3 :D

I've found a few campgrounds that have tent spaces, so that's always an option. I really don't know anyone well enough to ASK for floor space, but have one possible, tentative offer for that so far.

Depending on the time of year it can be rather wet around here, there really aren't any cheap rooms in the area your looking at because of the large business base.

I know there are instructors in Anchorage, and I think there is diver shop in Seward and possibly Homer, so there might be instructors there too. I didn't dive when I lived in AK but I knew a group of Anchorage folks who did a lot of diving in the Seward area. You won't have trouble finding a place in Seatte, especially in Freemont which is located near U of W. Get on line and check out the motels around the University. :doctor:

Bublin'Bill once bubbled...
I know there are instructors in Anchorage,
...but not for what I'm aiming for. There is no longer a dive shop in Seward, but there is a dive boat that operates out of there. The owner is considering a satelite shop next year.
I found a place in Seattle - a guy from this board who I met last time I was there has offered his spare room :).
As of about 0100 tomorrow, I'll be in a warmer climate!
See ya....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom