What cards to take to Mexico??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Delta74

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
ok, this will seem like a pretty easy question, but for all you Pro's out there what cards do you take on vacation with you? for what its worth I am hitting mexico, i am spending a week at each of these places, Cozumel , Riviera Maya and Cancun, if it matters.

I am a recently certified DM ( padi for all ), have my Nitrox and a slew of other specialties like wreck ( and useless Ice down there ) , anyway while I would love to take my shiny new black card part of me just wants to blend in, and not get paired with there new OW just trained diver so I am thinking AOW, and Nitrox and call that good. any thoughts? comments? and suggestions for shops? never been to mexico before so this will be a treat.

Thanks folks, and again sorry i know dumb question for a DM but i am paying to go diving, not babysit.

The card you carry doesn't really have anything to do with the level of responsibility you have towards your dive buddy, unless you're on the clock. You won't need wreck, because the only wrecks off Cozumel and Cancun that you might dive are nice open artificial reefs suitable for OW divers.
If you're diving cenotes, I'd take your cavern/cave card. Otherwise, take nitrox and whatever "I can dive without killing anyone" card you feel like.

I used to worry about showing my DM card and then being paired with newly certified OW students as an unpaid babysitter. The reality is that this has only happened once and I did agree to it. Unless you are being paid to DM you have no responsibility to anyone other than the diver you agree to buddy with. I always carry my DM card when Im travel diving which usually results in the sometimes overly cautious DMs leaving me alone. I also always carry my Nitrox cert. Hope you have a blast, sounds like fun.

DM & Nitrox. Rarely is there the expectation from the local dive leader that you would be asked to act in a professional capacity with "his clients".

I tend to show my ice instructor card and suggest if they can find the ice, I'll run a class for them :) They don't get to see many of them down there, and now and again it gets a fun reaction.

And of course having your nitrox or a trimix card will keep the nitrox flowing.

I don't hide that I'm an instructor, if you work it right you can get a lot of perks by being helpful.

When we were in Cancun last October, they looked at my board shorts that had "Instructor" on them. Never asked for a card!

When I became a DM I showed that card and when I became an Instructor I started to show that card. I have never had any "issues". In fact, sometimes showing that card has given me special treatment on trips - more interaction with operator and folks on the boat, more leeway on some dives, more freedom when I want it, etc. Sometimes, not always.

I take a Visa card.

I always take my highest rating card. Your DM card will give you a little freedom on diving your own profile with your buddy. You will not be treated differently than any other recreational diver unless you indicate a willingness AND the dive concessionare wants or needs you. I also take my Dive prof liabiiity insurance card, by the way, and any relevant specialty cards, always the nitrox card. Don't over think this. I see no down side to people knowing my level of training and experience so I can do the diving I want with little or no limitation. I have also worked as a DM for compensation on some trips, when at locations with whom I have developed a relationship over the years. I have done this as a trade for free boat dives, or for pay. You need the cert card and insurance card for that. I am puzzled every time this issue comes up. The presumed "down side" of showing a professional credential is a fantasy in nearly ever case, and just is not a problem.
DivemasterDennis

When we were in Cancun last October, they looked at my board shorts that had "Instructor" on them. Never asked for a card!

I know what you mean. A friend of mine used to have a Sex Instructor T-shirt and folks never asked him to show his credentials...:rofl3::rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom