Shore diving in Washington...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there...

I am looking to do some deeper/tech diving in the Seattle(west)
area and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any shore
dives to do?

I have dove Edmonds and Keystone.
I am looking for more depth.

Can anybody help me?

thanks

Check out www.fifthd.com . They should be able to hook you up.

We've got one good deep (200 ish) shore dive up here but no current source of trimix ;-0

Good luck!

Dave

Seacrest Park ... Cove 2, at Alki, West Seattle. Not sure what's to see below about 115, but the techies seem to like it. This is the favorite hangout for the DIR locals.

Mukilteo ... City Park, Lighthouse Point, T-dock ... three different sites in the same general vicinity. A popular site for deep tech dives. Again, I haven't been much below 120 here, but you see lots of technical divers here. Watch for currents at the City Park and Lighthouse.

Three Tree Point North ... Burien. A popular place to go deep looking for six-gills in the summer months. Been down to 128 fsw here, and there are little "junk piles" all the way to that depth, and probably beyond. Was just there yesterday, in fact. Saw some octopus and dogfish, although I maxed out at 89 fsw. You can easily go beyond recreational limits at this site.

Day Island Wall ... Tacoma. An utterly fantastic dive, featuring abundant wolf eel and octopus dens. The bottom of the wall maxes at about 95 fsw, but if you desire deeper you can easily go out past the wall. Time your dives carefully around slack or you'll get swept.

Sunrise, Gig Harbor ... the "wall" (ledge, actually) is between 35 and 65 fsw, but there's lots of interesting structure below that. Been as deep as 90 fsw here, and the boulder field just keeps on going. Lots of wolfies and octos here, as well as an abundance of other marine life. Again, time it carefully or be prepared to deal with serious current. Hiking back up the hill afterward is a serious pain in the posterior ... especially if you're hauling a tech rig.

Sund Rock ... Hoodsport (Hood Canal). A large rock that turns into a steep boulder field and series of ledges underwater. You can get to depths in excess of 120 fsw here. Lots of interesting structure, with wolf eel colonies and other marine life. The downside is that you get to choose to either pay the $15 per diver entrance fee to the site, or do a seriously long hike down a series of switchbacks followed by a fairly lengthy surface swim to the dive site.

Hope that helps you get started ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... deep and interesting is another thing.

You can go deep at Alki in West Seattle.
You can go deep at LobsterShop Wall in Tacoma.
You can go plenty deep at Mukilteo.

ColdH2Odvr once bubbled...
Check out www.fifthd.com . They should be able to hook you up.

We've got one good deep (200 ish) shore dive up here but no current source of trimix ;-0

Ok you have my curiousity. How could you have Andrew's 5thD shop where the GUE training director himself teaches GUE Rec Triox and GUE Tech 1 and not have a source of trimix?

Not trying to start anything, just doesn't seem possible.

chrpai once bubbled...

Ok you have my curiousity. How could you have Andrew's 5thD shop where the GUE training director himself teaches GUE Rec Triox and GUE Tech 1 and not have a source of trimix?

Not trying to start anything, just doesn't seem possible.

'Cuz he's in the San Juan Islands and 5th D is in Issaquah ... that's about 5 hours by car and ferry distant from each other.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Gotcha. I don't know the geography, so when the one poster told him to checkout FithD I assumed it was nearby. When he went further to say we dont have trimix avail it made me scratch my head.

ColdH2Odvr once bubbled...

We need to crack the combination to Pug's garage Dave :D

Once upon a time I had all the gas I could breathe (wholesale) and a dive buddy with a sweet fill station in his garage. Since then both the gas business and the buddy have gone south so I’m back to breathing air. But please don’t cry for me, I’ve met up with a few resourceful friends and we’ll be talking funny again soon enough.

What I know about south sound dive sites wouldn’t fill the back side of a matchbook but I figure Andrew et. Al. should be able to point the way.

cd_in_SeaTac once bubbled...

We need to crack the combination to Pug's garage Dave :D

LOL, the combination on most divers garages is “hay, is that dive gear in there?” the problem is getting back out! How about it UP, any dive gear in that garage… :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom