Anyone been to Nusa Penida in the last couple of weeks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ardy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi all - not trying to skite :cool2: (aussie for boasting) but I am off to Bali next week. After several days in Tulamben I am hoping to photograph manta's at Nusa Penida. I have seen them several times over the years in different places but have not got photographs in clear water yet and hoping this is my chance.

How is it hanging out there?

Yes, I was there last week. Mantas are there all year around, but the water is rarely clear. Good luck :cool2:

Mantas are there all year around ...

... and "almost" every day, but not every day. My wife and I can vouch for that, Amanda. :wink:

... and "almost" every day, but not every day. My wife and I can vouch for that, Amanda. :wink:

Quite correct, we can never guarantee a sighting. It's a fish, it moves around!! :eyebrow: lol

Hi all - not trying to skite :cool2: (aussie for boasting) but I am off to Bali next week. After several days in Tulamben I am hoping to photograph manta's at Nusa Penida. I have seen them several times over the years in different places but have not got photographs in clear water yet and hoping this is my chance.

How is it hanging out there?

Just got back last night from diving Bali. Did Manta Point - no mantas, which was a bummer since my mates saw 7 at one go about 2 weeks ago. Our DM said there's a 70-80% chance of seeing them at Manta Point; tough luck for me I guess! Went on to Crystal Bay for our surface interval (and next dive) and there was a manta playing on the surface. Darn those lucky snorkelers.

Hi there

I had 3 days at the end of February in Nusa Lembongan , did 6 dives and, not skiteing or anything, saw 6 beautiful Mantas. The first day the snorkellers got to the mantas before we did and one swam just past us on the descent. However on the second day at Manta Point we had three beautiful mantas with us for 30 minutes. They could have photographed us !! There were just two boats of dives and one snorkeller on our boat who is also a diver. It was absolutely out of this world.

Give yourself enough time , at least 4 days as the boats don't always go to Manta Point and you will be fine.

Hi Guys - I guess it is just luck, but as good a chance as any. Pity the water isn't clean divewench1, maybe you could get out there and fine sieve it for me????? NO! OK I understand.

Suppose I will take whatever I see but I was hoping for clean water shots of Manta's, although they live on stuff that makes water dirty - what do I expect? Every bloody thing! that is all.

Hi there

I had 3 days at the end of February in Nusa Lembongan , did 6 dives and, not skiteing or anything, saw 6 beautiful Mantas. The first day the snorkellers got to the mantas before we did and one swam just past us on the descent. However on the second day at Manta Point we had three beautiful mantas with us for 30 minutes. They could have photographed us !! There were just two boats of dives and one snorkeller on our boat who is also a diver. It was absolutely out of this world.

Give yourself enough time , at least 4 days as the boats don't always go to Manta Point and you will be fine.

Sorry Tippy - only there for 2 days diving, got some serious photo stuff to do at Tulamben.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom