Oxygenated Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

animian2002

Contributor
Reaction score
It's me again. Asking Stupid Question :hiding:

I was out shopping today and by chances I saw this new product at the super market. It is those newly launched Bottled Oxygenated drinking Water. According to the ad, it has an extremely high level of Oxygen retained in the water

And I can't help but think what will happen if we drink this water before and after diving :confused: Even though it is just a small bottle :D

I'm not trained in nitrox/mixed gases, but I have read that Oxgyen can be bad for divers at depth eg :drown: as a result of convulsion underwater etc and so when I saw their ad, I can't help but wonder.

So what you do you guys think :)

...just "stupid answers"! I know that "Super-Oxygenated Water" sounds like a great idea!

Just think for a moment of Henry's Law. While there is a lot more to the subject than just this, any extra gas in solution held there under pressure will do what when you open the bottle and change the ambient pressure that the liquid is exposed to?

BigJetDriver69 once bubbled...
No "stupid questions"......just "stupid answers"!

Under which category does, "take it easy with the smilies" fall?

If all of the gas disolved in the water was oxygen, it still couldn't be very much oxygen. We are only talking about some small fraction of a liter of oxygen at one atmosphere per liter of water.

The short answer is that it isn't enough oxygen to be of any benefit and isn't enough oxygen to be a hazard.

I'd call it a marketing gimmick.

Latest Sports Scam
News Report from the PNW
If you have access to the Journal of the American Medical Association, you can look at the study. Apparently, there is less oxygen in "oxygenated water" than there is in a single breath of air. It's unlikely that such a small amount of O2 would cause problems. Also, our digestive tract wasn't designed to absorb oxygen with any degree of efficiency, so whatever O2 actually gets into the bloodstream will be minimal. I think the concern falls into the "don't kill any more brain cells over it" category.

I did see one O2 bar in a useful place. It was in the visitor's center at the top of Pike Pike. That would be at 14,110 feet ASL.

Oxygenated Water

Let us assume for a moment that there actually was a substantial amount of oxygen in the water (which there is not). This water would enter our digestive system and the water and oxygen would diffuse into the capillaries and then be carried to the veins. This blood in these veins would then join with blood in the vena cava and move to the lungs.

At the lungs, the blood again enters capillaries around the alveoli, and gases in the blood are exchanged. If you were breathing air, the gradient would be such that oxygen in the lung capillary blood would move into the alveoli. The result would be blood that was essentially equilibrated to the air in the alveoli. Unless you were breathing oxygen, the lungs and the gas exchange would remove any [purported] advantage.

When you have a build up of carbon dioxide in your blood, you feel “out of breath” and breathe faster. Does anyone feel “out of breath” after drinking a carbonated beverage? No? Then I guess that whatever gas is absorbed from the digestive system into the blood produces no effect after it passes the lungs.

Mike Powell (Dr Deco)
:doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom