Stupid question: how to bungee?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

racerx_

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
No not interested in bungee jumping ha..

Just found a dive accessory shop today picked up some webbing, tri glides and bungee cord while I was there.. The idea being to tie the bungee around my harness in strategic locations to keep my light, etc from flailing around in the water while it's clipped off.. So now that I have a few feet of bungee cord, what do I do? Lol I'm assuming there are some good knots for this or ways to tie it.. Anyone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's exactly what I want to do.. Thanks!

I do it one of two ways, using double fisherman's knot. Either I just make a loop around the whole webbing tight enough to secure my light or I put two holes in the webbing and thread the bungee through and then tie knot. The first way allows me to move the bungee up or down on the webbing depending on the light I'm using. The second way the bungee is fixed in place. I also put a dab of glue on the knot.

Last edited:
Although not as secure as the double fishermans, I have used the overhand follow through or 'water knot' (not to be confused with the EDK) It seems to have the smallest profile of all the knots I tried.

Edit: I'm not sure if this is what you mean but to attach it to the webbing you can feed the webbing through one slot of the tri glide, then put the webbing through the loop of bungie you have tied, then 'capture' the bungie by feeding the webbing through the other slot on the tri glide.I'm not sure if it's the proper way of doing things but it seems to work well for me.

Appreciate the input.. Tied my first double fisherman and feel like a mix between bear grylls and jacques cousteau right now ha

I also put a dab of glue on the knot.
g.gif

Although not as secure as the double fishermans, I have used the overhand follow through or 'water knot' (not to be confused with the EDK) It seems to have the smallest profile of all the knots I tried.

Edit: I'm not sure if this is what you mean but to attach it to the webbing you can feed the webbing through one slot of the tri glide, then put the webbing through the loop of bungie you have tied, then 'capture' the bungie by feeding the webbing through the other slot on the tri glide.I'm not sure if it's the proper way of doing things but it seems to work well for me.

I do it that way for inflator hose on D ring.

I found using a belt slide does not hold the light as "snuggly" as either just around the webbing or threaded through two holes.

another option is to take a cross section of an old bicycle inner tube about 1" wide and feed the strap through it. Halcyon and others have been doing this for years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom