Mares Abyss 22 Reg with Apollo bio filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mgreen167

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am new to diving, so pardon my lack of diving jargon. I have 8 dives, and i've had a bloody nose on most of them. I think its a combination of the allergy medication drying my sinuses, and the dry air from the tank. I tend to equalize my ears by swallowing, which I find hard to do with a really dry mouth. So, I ordered the Apollo bio filter. I was wondering if anybody uses this with the Mares Abyss 22 regulator? If so, are you using the 1/2 inch setup. I intially purchased the 3/8's setup because thats what was recommended to me. After contacting Mares, I was told by a tech that the first stage had a fitting that didn't allow anything but the reg hose to be attached. Can anybody refute this?

First, you should have gotten the 1/2" Bio, but since you already have it, head down to your LDS and see if they can fix you up with 1/2" to 3/8" adapters . . . if they fit, Mares is full of crap, if not, they are right. For that matter, if you can swap your Bio for the 1/2" version, and see if it fits, that will tell you as well.

Myself, I can't imagine why it would not fit - the idea behind thread standards is so that things *WILL* be compatible, and not to do goofy proprietary (stupid) things . . .

- Tim

Last edited:
Don't know about Mares being "full of crap".......the 1/2" MR 22 LP port has a tube sticking out in the middle of it, probably something to do with the DFC thingy.

This may or may not interfere with the Biofilter.

The Mares ports are quite close together.....the Biofilter may not allow you to use the next door port that is uesd for your octo.

I wouldn't go the 3/8 route with an adapter unless you want to buy a new hose as well (you could use a 1/2" to 3/8" on one side of the filter and then a 3/8" to 1/2" on the other but that's getting a bit Frankensteiny for me).

Don't know if anyone still makes a SCUDA.......might be the better way to go.

Last edited:
mgrenn167: Your model Mares regulator has a 1/2 primary LP regulator hose. We carry both 3/8 and 1/2 in our inventory. Tadawson has provided good advice.

There you go then.
The manufacture of one product is certain it will work fine in another manufacturers product.

You could always pull the secondary and look at the primary fitting. If something projects then it won't work. If it doesn't, the only concern is whether there is enough clearance from the other fittings for the filter to fit. Actually, a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter might make that easier.

If the ports are too close together (as they were on my Poseidon) you can always get a short (4 inch or less) LP hose and put the filter on the end of the small whip. While I really like my BioFilter, I really have never been much of a fan of the way they hang on the 1st stage - it just looks like it is asking to be broken off, and what I ended up needing to do for clearance eliminated that possibility too.

- Tim

There you go then.
The manufacture of one product is certain it will work fine in another manufacturers product.

We are not certain it would work fine. Simply stated that we offer both 3/8 and 1/2 versions of the bio-filter and
that the OP is and has been getting good advice from board members including, yourself, tadawson, and Kilili

We would always defer to the OEM on such matters so your comments are justified. The OP should trust his
LDS and contact the folks at Mares if he has further questions.

Technologies - Mares - just add water

I would agree with Kilili that the DFC feature would not be compatible with the bio-filter.

.....i was feeling a bit pissy yesterday.

.....i was feeling a bit pissy yesterday.

No worries mate-all the comments help. The OP contacted us directly today and we advised that his Mares Abyss first stage
was not compatible @ the 1/2 LP port featuring the DFC. .

Nice thing about this board is that divers new and old can resource world wide info and opinions.

We learn something all the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom