Keep your dive buddies closer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ozwald

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was just down in Roatan with a "dive buddy". Now while I consider myself to be somewhat self reliant should the situation demand it I am of the firm belief that if you are diving with a buddy you should be no less than 7 feet apart and always giving a quick look at one another, just to make sure. Now this "buddy" of mine has been diving for 30+ years. When I approached him about this after noticing that he rarely looked over at me (that I noticed, I always ask for the "okay" sign) and was just too far away should anything happen he replied, don't worry I can get to you real fast. This made me realize that he talked a good dive buddy but really wasn't one.

After that I approached our dives from a slightly different angle.

Does this sound unreasonable? This may have been better suited to it's own thread and apologize if so.

I was just down in Roatan with a "dive buddy". Now while I consider myself to be somewhat self reliant should the situation demand it I am of the firm belief that if you are diving with a buddy you should be no less than 7 feet apart and always giving a quick look at one another, just to make sure. Now this "buddy" of mine has been diving for 30+ years. When I approached him about this after noticing that he rarely looked over at me (that I noticed, I always ask for the "okay" sign) and was just too far away should anything happen he replied, don't worry I can get to you real fast. This made me realize that he talked a good dive buddy but really wasn't one.

Does this sound unreasonable? This may have been better suited to it's own thread and apologize if so.

This deserves its own thread in my opinion.

And I'd suggest you are making the correct analysis. Sounds a lot like your buddy is either not savvy about YOUR comfort-level or perhaps is a tad complacent. In either case, a sit-down chat is called for, mate.

This deserves its own thread in my opinion.

And I'd suggest you are making the correct analysis. Sounds a lot like your buddy is either not savvy about YOUR comfort-level or perhaps is a tad complacent. In either case, a sit-down chat is called for, mate.

... or a different dive buddy.

It's been my observation that quite a lot of people who have been diving since the '70's and '80's don't adhere to the same mindset for buddy diving that is taught today. Theirs is more what we call "same ocean" buddies. If you are diving with someone who's used to diving this way, talking about it may not have the desired impact ... their diving habits are well-ingrained, and he may be unable, or unwilling, to change those habits to accommodate your comfort zone.

At that point, you're faced with a choice ... either prepare your dives as though you were solo or find a more compatible buddy. What you don't want to do is take his word for it that he'll be there if you need him ... he's relying on a self-perception that may not have been tested in decades ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Maybe a mod can peel off this new tangent, but I rarely need to see my dive buddy to know if they are OK. I listen to their breathing patterns and can almost always pick up any upcoming distress before they do. I was recently on a deco dive and my buddy was a bit put off that I laid my head down and nodded off. He hit the end of his deco and the act of getting ready to surface changed his breathing enough for me to look up. He had no idea how I was so zoned into him until I explained how rhythmic his breathing is. Often I can hear further than I can see, and I can hear what's happening behind me as well as above/below and to the side. It's just a part of being situationally aware.

Maybe a mod can peel off this new tangent, but I rarely need to see my dive buddy to know if they are OK. I listen to their breathing patterns and can almost always pick up any upcoming distress before they do. I was recently on a deco dive and my buddy was a bit put off that I laid my head down and nodded off. He hit the end of his deco and the act of getting ready to surface changed his breathing enough for me to look up. He had no idea how I was so zoned into him until I explained how rhythmic his breathing is. Often I can hear further than I can see, and I can hear what's happening behind me as well as above/below and to the side. It's just a part of being situationally aware.
Using audio cues to keep tabs on a buddy might be sufficient for normal circumstances among warm water divers.
But what happens when you're wearing a thick hood for cold water diving?
What happens when the buddy needs help but his breathing is still rhythmic...and you aren't looking at/checking in with him?
What happens if your buddy just wants to communicate with you?
If you're closing your eyes and zoning out, are you still able to foresee imminent problems to the buddy team and act swiftly to prevent them? (To me, that's an important part of being situationally aware and being a good buddy.)

Getting back on topic, buddy separation distance, lead-follow/side-to-side configuration, frequency of gas checks, etc. are issues that should be discussed during the pre-dive conversation with a new dive buddy.

FWIW, I think the OP meant to write: "...no greater distance/farther than 7 feet apart..."

depends on the visibility, but when I've been to Roatan the visiblility would easily allow a greater separation than 7 feet if that is comfortable for both buddies. If you have a buddy that never looks at you - not so much....

Im perfectly comfortable with my diving skills. But, being a dive buddy to means exactly that....a person to rely on should anything happen. And applies not only for me but my buddy as well.

I have some pretty high expectations when either diving, rock climbing or running my usiness. Personally i dont stray from these rules for any reason, ever.

Am i asking too much maybe, but thats the way it is.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?4bj4j5

Im perfectly comfortable with my diving skills. But, being a dive buddy to means exactly that....a person to rely on should anything happen. And applies not only for me but my buddy as well.

I have some pretty high expectations when either diving, rock climbing or running my usiness. Personally i dont stray from these rules for any reason, ever.

Am i asking too much maybe, but thats the way it is.
There's nothing wrong with expecting a great deal from a buddy.
However, if you want to give both people the best chance at being happy during/after the dive, you need to discuss expectations/logistics/contingency plans explicitly in the pre-dive conversation.

Try not to assume anything. The training and experiences that people have...are all over the map. Regarding the dive in question, you were assuming that your idea of good dive buddy behavior was the same as your insta-buddy's. Clearly that was a poor assumption.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom