Dive Log

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Lost my dive log, going to Roatan in 6 weeks, can i buy a new one and write in approx dates and places i have dove. What will i need to show the dive shops in Roatan?
Thanks

I've been diving since 1979, and been out of the country many times. I've never had anyone ask for or look at my dive log. The usual questions are "how long have you been diving?", and "when was your last dive?", and let me see your "card".

If you are worried, you could call the dive operator and ask what they require.

DB

Ive been out with one dive shop in Roatan, and 4 other shops in 3 different countries, and have yet to have anyone ask me for my dive log. I have been asked when my last dive was, highest level of certification, how long ive been certified, and how many dives.

I've dove with 3 shops on Roatan - Anthony's Key, Coconut Tree Divers, Barefoot Divers. All just asked to see my card.

Your dive log can provide a lot of useful information for dive leaders further than that of your certification cards alone. This can include the actual maximum depth achieved during your certification, your air consumption, your weight and type of exposure protection used. Also they can give information such as the type of environment in which you were diving including visibility and speed of currents you have experienced.

Your certification cards obviously do provide some information with regards to your level of experience but may not provide information with regards to what you actually did during your course. For example with regards to the advanced open water course what adventure dives you chose such as drift or diver propulsion vehicles.

Rather than simply trying to recall the information within your log book try and provide the following details which your dive leader will be able to use to make sure you have an enjoyable and safe dive.

1. Total number of dives.

2. What weight you used during your dives and what exposure protection you used i.e. 12lbs with a 3mm shorty wetsuit.

3. What conditions you have been diving in i.e. strong currents, very low visibility.

4. Maximum depth you achieved during your training.

5. What your air consumption is like i.e. still had 1000psi left following a 40min dive to 15m.

This information along with your certification cards will assist your dive leader in selecting sites which you will be comfortable diving. Help ensure proper weighting dependant on the appropriate exposure protection for those sites. Where to place you within a dive group i.e. if you have poor air consumption the dive leader will likely want you close to them so that they may keep a close eye on you and which buddy to pair you with.

Simply trying to recall all of the information within your dive logs won't be too helpful as your training dives will have included verification signatures from your instructor to prove you did what’s on your dive log.

With PADI even if you were to loose your certification cards this information can be found online so long as you give the dive shop sufficient time to run the checks so loosing your cards doesn't have to mean missing out on dives.

I sort of agree with ed. But even real old PADI stuff likely is not online. I know my SSI stuff is not online (1986) and then there is the whole Naui fire thing (It was naui wan't it?) As for the log book, Operators, can sniff out the posers. If you haven't dove in 10 years and plan on stuffing new log book. I would highly suggest taking a refresher.... If you do have recent dives, say within the last year, call your buddies to the the details. If it's been over a year, take a refresher anyway, have the instructor sign it and your good to go.The small cost of a refresher is nothing to the cost of your trip. Get the basics out of the way so you can have fun....

Ed saved me the trouble of writing most of my thoughts. There's not much point if "faking" the old entries they are lost. However any log book can be nothing but fakes entries so they are taken with a grain of salt.

For the sake of preserving your history and for anyone that may someday care I would write a few paragraphs outlining the essence of the diving you have done. Regions, gear and ranges of temperatures, depths, visibility, current, boat, shore, and so forth.

Pete

I've been diving since 1979, and been out of the country many times. I've never had anyone ask for or look at my dive log. The usual questions are "how long have you been diving?", and "when was your last dive?", and let me see your "card".

If you are worried, you could call the dive operator and ask what they require.

DB

+1.

Just bring your C card and Dan card. Have fun.

Hope your log book turns up. It is amazing "where" I have found/placed mine.

I have been surprised on occasion when asked by some operators in SE Asia and in Middle East to show proof of last dive (easy with computer and / or log book).

My current log book has my last 100 dives in it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom