Any suggestions for traveling / diving Australia's Sunshine Coast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveAv8r

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings,

I will be traveling to Australia next week, I was wondering two things:

1) Does anyone know of good dives around the Sunshine Coast - Brisbane, Noosa, Maroochydor areas?

2) does anyone have any suggestions for traveling with gear? I know the carry-on weights are pretty strict.

Thanks for all your help!

Noam

I'm currently working for a dive shop in Brisbane, but if you're up the Sunny Coast way, check out the Ex-HMAS Brisbane for a really decent wreck dive. Scuba World are pretty awesome, I've dived with them before and had a great experience.

Dive sites around Noosa, all I can think of is Wolf Rock, it's very similar to South West Rocks but up north instead of south, there are heaps of Grey Nurse Sharks there!!

In Brisbane, there's pretty much the entire Moreton Bay area. I highly recommend Flinders Reef, Manta bommie and Flat Rock. Annnnnd, now for some shameless advertisment, check out Scuba diving Brisbane Australia | PADI scuba diving courses | Learn to dive lessons | Scuba gear - Home if you're in Brisbane, pop into the shop when you can and have a chat with the guys, we run trip every Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.

In regards to travel, pack wisely but bring your mask, when i went back to Vietnam, I used a hire mask and it didn't really fit as well as mine, I had a good time but I would have been more comfortable with my own (the dives were planned last minute).

On the sunshine coast I would also recommend Scubaworld. They have a great boat and run good trips. Ex.HMAS Brisbane is a fun dive, and their local reefs are underrated IMO. I have heard good things about Wolf rock, but have never dived there personally.

In Brisbane I dive with Godive. Divexsite also has short liveaboard trips aboard Big Cat Reality. Personally though, I think Sundive at Byron Bay has the best diving in this area. Its a bit further away but I think it is well worth it if possible.

As for packing, I would take mask, computer then regs. Then whatever else will fit in checked baggage. Most of the rental stuff is well maintained from my experience (but always check carefully!) Water temps are about 25c (77F) at the moment.

Greetings!

Thank you both for the info, I will say hello when I get in to Brisbane.

Noam

If you have a chance to take a day or so specifically for diving, I'd highly recommend driving the hour or so south to go to Byron Bay. We had an absolutely fantastic time diving there, at the reserve called Julian Rocks. We stayed at Planula Lodge, and found it very comfortable, well-priced, and ideal for divers. The town is a little self-consciously cute, but has some excellent restaurants, and the beach and bay are gorgeous. I would love to go back . . .

The ex HMAS Brisbane, is an OK wreck dive at Mooloolaba/Maoouchydore.
Diving Australia - Learn to Dive - Scuba Diving Australia | Scuba World

Wolf rock out of Rainbow Beach is a unique dive with a bit of everything if you get lucky. GNS, schooling barracuda, manta's, turtles, etc , etc. Need a car for this one really.
Wolf Rock Dive - Grey Nurse Sharks|Scuba Diving|Commercial Diving|Charters|Training|Equipment - Welcome

A bit further south, as TS&M says is Julian Rock, just off Byron. I'd suggest giving Byron a miss & staying at Brunswick heads, just a few miles to the north. Then dive with these guys.
Blue Bay Divers – Byron Bay – Australia | Your Byron Bay/ Brunswick Heads Professional Dive Charters

Stradbroke Island isn't to bad either.
Accomodation And Scuba Diving - North Stradbroke Island Near Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Back
Top Bottom