Subwing - freediving being towed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was featured recently in another thread. The concept isn't new at all and I have heard it also called "Manta-boarding" and "Tow-boarding." Most people make them out of a plank of wood. Because you are limited to how deep you can go (~30 feet) the danger of a blackout is very small. Once you get the hang of it, you can easily control your position in the water to avoid coral or other benthic obstructions. It is probably the most fun you'll have on snorkel and I highly recommend it.

The main thing I have to point out is that you're going to have to be in really good shape to do this. Being towed behind a boat, unless they go relatively slow, you're going to be submitted to a massive amount of drag that's very likely to just pull you off the board. Not necessarily but I could imagine your forearms tiring out rather quickly from this.

Here is similar concept. Here you actually riding on a scooter so you have complete control of whats going. I was on the winning team at PFI's Deja Blue first offical F3F scooter races. We had 6 teams of three competiting for a grand prize of $1000. It was the most fun I've ever had winning $1000!
We had underwater diamond shapped gates staggered around a wreck and would run a relay race through the gates. The gates ranged in depth from 15 ft to 50ft max. The dive time to run threw the course was around 1:30. Definitly in the range of most people who have taken a freediving course. Good morning america was there to cover the event. It was a blast!

Check out the videos.

Why choose Immersion Freediving

Last edited:
Do you think it could attrack sharks ? flying in the water like this ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom