Marine life hand signs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

koozemani

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A recent thread polling SB'ers to see how many hand signs they could rattle off inspired this thread. After the cave/wreck/tech divers started chiming in, I realized how many signs I don't know.

I started this thread to specifically address hand signs for marine life. Pictures would be great or a clear description would also work. Im looking to learn ones I don't know, and to see how different areas/groups refer to the same fish.

Shark - make a fin on top of your head... like you're a shark, lol.
Turtle - the 'hang-loose' hand (fist with thumb and pinky stretched outwards), shaking side to side.
Splendid toad fish - either point at my goatee or make your own with your hand (like the little rascals, lol).
Crab/lobster - claw hands

Turtle: I've also seen stacking your hands with your four fingers together and pointed with your thumbs off to either side flapping.

Lobster: index finger and middle finger out like a peace sign with finger waggling like antennae.

Stone fish: bring a fist down to your open palm. Upon hitting your palm, blade your hand and wiggle it away like a fish swimming.

Bow mouth guitar fish - air or water guitar
Ray - interlocked thumbs and flapping hands
Trigger fish - make a trigger with hand
Seargent Major - fingers as stipes on opposite arm
Octopus - fingers pointed down, open and close same for squid but horizontal

Octopus -- hand palm down, fingers "crawling".
Eel -- hand forms mouth "snapping"
Lobster -- as above, with the two fingers sticking out of your forehead.

Parrot fish anyone?

Triggerfish - mimic a gun
Jellyfish - pulse your fingers like a jelly
Lion fish - cross your hands so your fingers interlocked and flap your fingers up and down
Shark - hand on your forehead to mimmick fin
True seal/earless seal (harbor, leopard, harp, monk, elephant etc)- clap your hands to mimic their back fins swimming
Seal lion - tuck your arms in and flap your hands to mimic fore fins swimming
Live Sun fish - similar to shaka sign except all your fingers are extended
Dead sun fish - frisbee

Lobster - both pointer fingers held up to forehead.

Crab - both hands making pinching motion.

butter - hold one hand under chin like holding a plate, then make eating motion towards mouth with other hand.

Back
Top Bottom