Weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Country_Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Okay, I understand that this is an issue that has been beaten to death in many thousands of posts and threads. However, I'm still curious about the issues of proper weighting. In my previous experience, I have used roughly 6 to 8 lbs of weight with a 2.5 mil wetsuit. I'm reading a lot about people using 20+ lbs with 5 mil suits in saltwater. Based on my previous dives, what would be a good starting point for guessing how much weight to use in saltwater?

CD...

I use 8 lbs in a 3mm full length wetsuit and AL 80 in fresh water and 14 lbs in salt water using similar config.

Here is a basic weighting guideline for you;

Proper Weighting Guidelines
a. Exposure Suit Type Weight
1) Swimsuit or skin 1 - 4 lbs
2) 3mm one piece or shorty 5% body weight
3) 5mm one or two piece 10% body weight
4) Add hood and boots 2 lbs
5) 7 mm two piece 10% + 4 - 5 lbs
6) Dry suit with light underwear 10% + 3 - 5 lbs
7) Dry Suit with heavy uw 10% + 7 - 14 lbs

b. Fresh or Salt Water
Body Weight Add from fresh to salt
1) 100 - 125 lbs 4 lbs
2) 126 - 155 lbs 5 lbs
3) 156 - 186 lbs 6 lbs
4) 187 - 217 lbs 7 lbs

c. Tank Types
Add or subtract weight according to empty buoyancy
Type Full Buoyancy Empty
1) AL80 -1.4 lbs +4.4
2) AL100 -4.35 +3.0
3) St HP80 -8.5 -2.5
4) St HP100 -8.5 -1.0
5) St HP120 -9.5 0

All that said, I would say make sure you do a buoyancy check - deflate your BCD fully, hold a normal breath and you should float at eye level.

Okay, I understand that this is an issue that has been beaten to death in many thousands of posts and threads. However, I'm still curious about the issues of proper weighting. In my previous experience, I have used roughly 6 to 8 lbs of weight with a 2.5 mil wetsuit. I'm reading a lot about people using 20+ lbs with 5 mil suits in saltwater. Based on my previous dives, what would be a good starting point for guessing how much weight to use in saltwater?

As Griff.. has previously mentioned that depends on many different factors such as what tanks you use, thickness of wetsuit, body type, BC or BP/W?

20lbs seems very high for a 5mm. The BCs they use must be very buoyant. I use a SS BP/W in a 7mm two pice with hood and steel tank I wear around 11lbs. In a one piece 5mm with Ali back plate and Al 80 I wear around 6lbs. people can only give you a "guesstimate" as everyone is different and uses different gear. There is no substitute for a proper weight check and of course every time you change gear you should do another weight check. With experience you can become pretty good at guessing "your own" weight requirements based on previous configurations you have used. Good luck.

Last edited:
I check the buoyancy of my body as well as each piece of gear, each, separately, in the water. It's a good exercise and you will learn a lot from it concerning your trim and balance.

Thanks everyone. Clears up some of the muddy water.

... I use a SS BP/W in a 7mm two pice with hood and steel tank I wear around 11lbs....

Buddasummer - does the 11lbs include the weight of your plate? If you were using an AL80 vs the steel, what weight would you be using? I ask only because I get confused when people start comparing their weighting and compare apples to oranges. I am just curious, not looking for any controversy.

Bill

Buddasummer - does the 11lbs include the weight of your plate? If you were using an AL80 vs the steel, what weight would you be using? I ask only because I get confused when people start comparing their weighting and compare apples to oranges. I am just curious, not looking for any controversy.

Bill

Sorry if my post was confusing. I was trying to illustrate different gear uses different weights i.e there is no "standard".

With SS plate, 7mm and steel tank the 11lbs is on my belt. If using same gear but an Al80 tank I would add around 4lbs to the belt i.e. total around 15lbs on belt. Cheers.

buddhasummer,

What would you estimate the weight of the plate to be?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom