New Toy = Trip to the Trauma Center??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepSeaDan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I remember someone posting this back last year. I think it's a real nice idea but there's tons of logistical issues that get in the way such as visibility, a wide area to boat and subwing in, and of course hands-free equalization.
I'll stick to pining for a DPV.

[video=youtube;NkO8CuEP53E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkO8CuEP53E[/video]

One of the basic problem with that set-up is the fact that the riders end up completely out of sight, once submerged, of the boat personnel be it the driver or the safety spotter in contrast to wakeboarding, kneeboarding and waterskiing. Also, those practicing the latters normally wear PFD so if something does happen, they will remain at the surface and be visible which is not the case of the individuals riding this underwater wing. How will other boaters know that you are in fact towing people behind you as they will not see them unless they surface for air??? Lastly, it is like we do not have enough problem already with the shallow reefs and coral systems...

Well said RTee, that pretty much sums it all up. I can see the sequence of subwing events going something like: swimmers being ripped right off as soon as being submerged, dragged for 200m naked, being slammed & wedged into coral reef, and finally little fish swimming up ones pee hole.

I made one from plywood years ago and spent two days on SCUBA getting dragged around Roatan looking for dive sites.

I've hurt myself more often in bed. Let Darwin have his way. If you can't do it, you shouldn't.

If you wear a PFD, how are you supposed to dive down? In answer to your other questions, other boaters see your boat's dive flag which should be enough, but it is pretty obvious that lines are trailing off the stern. And as for ecological concerns, how is this any worse than just diving?

I've used the same sort of setup for years now and have even taught its as an ecological surveying tool. We call it tow-boarding. It is great for covering large areas as you would if you were looking for wrecks, benthic cover, etc. "As is" the setup is best used as a snorkeling tool, but it can be modified for scuba with the addition of controls on the board that signal up to the boat.

From the write up: "How much to get your very own Subwing? Fiber glass models will run you $700, while carbon fiber Subwings cost $895 for glossy and $850 for matte. Additional mounts for Go Pro cameras and ropes are sold separately."

That's bizarre beyond belief, we've been building similar devices for decades for reef surveys.
I made one from plywood years ago and spent two days on SCUBA getting dragged around Roatan looking for dive sites.

I've hurt myself more often in bed. Let Darwin have his way. If you can't do it, you shouldn't.
Exactly. Saved you $700 US, eh?
If you wear a PFD, how are you supposed to dive down? In answer to your other questions, other boaters see your boat's dive flag which should be enough, but it is pretty obvious that lines are trailing off the stern. And as for ecological concerns, how is this any worse than just diving?

I've used the same sort of setup for years now and have even taught its as an ecological surveying tool. We call it tow-boarding. It is great for covering large areas as you would if you were looking for wrecks, benthic cover, etc. "As is" the setup is best used as a snorkeling tool, but it can be modified for scuba with the addition of controls on the board that signal up to the boat.
PFD is overkill, but I suspect you can get enough down force to sink it.

Wonder what it'd be like flying that thing wearing just a harness and slinging a 40 ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom