I want your opinions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rogersea

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Tongo Poiint Basdiot Moalboal Philippines
# of dives
Hi I am kicking around the idea of getting a DPV or two. I would like to know:

1. how you currently employ it.

2. how difficult it is to maintain it.

3. most common problem areas.

I would really appreciate any responses...

Cheers,
Roger

1-long and short run in the st-lawrence river mostly from shore
2-clean the oring that's it
3-weight, but easily resolved

I have a silent submersion UV18 and UV42

Last edited:
Independent contractor

Easy

Damn trigger handle won't stay in one piece.

I would really appreciate any responses...
Your welcome :eyebrow:

I have a Mako that has served me well with very little work needed. It used to get put in the water often, but now we tend to use our boat more. I made some upgrades, and purchased a few others to make it more usable. One of my friends gave it variable speed electronics and solid state relays when he did his Gavin. There really isn't much you need to do to a scooter. Get a scoot like Jon Nellis' and there is even less to do, since it is a sealed unit. If you want an affordable scooter get a rebuilt or used Sierra. If you haven't already take a look at the "Tahoe Bench Mark" testing. Scooters are awesome!! You will never want to do a surface swim again.

I have a standard Sierra. I don't employ it very much, but when I do, it's either as insurance against current in a current-sensitive site, or to reach sites from shore that would be difficult or impossible surface or underwater swims. It's good for that!

Maintenance is minimal -- we soak the scooters in fresh water and spin them in the water after each use. Once in a while, they should be taken apart and serviced. Peter has taken the class on doing this, but we usually get lazy and take them up to Dive X-tras (which is about 20 minutes from us) and let them do it.

We've had no problems. We've owned the scooters for about four years.

Hi I am kicking around the idea of getting a DPV or two. I would like to know:

DPV's are used to extend your range, decrease your swimming workload and/or deal with currents. The extended range is an obvious benefit for exploring places you normally would not be able to (or want to) swim to, but decreasing your swimming workload means that your muscles are not using oxygen as fast, so your breathing rate can be slower and your gas will last longer resulting in longer bottom times. For dive sites subject to strong currents, it can mean getting out of the water where you got in or being able to get back to the boat, but you should always have a contingency plan in case the scooter dies. Also, the nitrogen buildup does not change, so with a longer dive you still need to factor deco in at the standard rates.

Other than rinsing it off after saltwater dives, most DPVs recommend that you change the shaft seal annually (unless the DPV does not have a shaft seal, of course) along with the body o-rings. Some brands recommend sending the scooter in for this service. Other than that, basic o-ring cleaning/greasing and recharging are all that is needed. Most scooter, you will need to open the scooter to recharge the batteries, which increases the chances of getting dirt/sand on the seals or damaging the seals during reassembly. That, plus convenience, is why we use an external recharge connector.

Leaks are an obvious problem. Poor attention to o-ring cleanliness and condition can result in leaks at the body/tail connection. DPVs with shaft seals that are poorly maintained is another possible leak source. Additionally, dropping the scooter or ingesting objects that result in a bent propeller shaft can lead to almost immediate shaft seal failure. Other than that, switch failure (either failed "on" or failed "off") is a possibility, but rare.

Cheers,
Jon

Last edited:
Have 6 Apollo AV2's and have had 12 Apollo AV1's for thousands of dives over 20 years. Run in fresh water after use and treat them like 40 pound eggs. Very little maintenance.

Shore dive mostly, usually travel a mile+ along the wall and another mile back in the shallows.

NiMH batteries last 95 minutes on high speed nonstop, about as fast as an unmodified Mako.

Hands free with push saddles, variable speed is good for photos, video, and lionfish hunting. Silent with no prop wash since it is behind you.

Mostly well so far all fresh water lake dives. I have a Mako.

Very easy for me.

One thing I did not think about is..You will not use it if you are the only person you know that has one.
Also big ones are hard to carry over rough terrain or long distances to shore.

PS the first time you drive one you WILL be smiling!! :)

don't try one unless you are commited to buy one in the next year.

Some are for sale on eBay for less than 200$.

If you want to use during an exotic location on vacation, consider shipping it directly to the dive shop there, and leaving it behind.

IOW, if you have real bad knees or ankles, but still want to dive, a 120$ model is "cheap" to leave behind. Perhaps get a free boat dive in exchange to leaving it behind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom