Long Hose/Bungeed Back up/No Snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NOVADiveGuy21

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm new to diving, but I already know that down the road (read: far down the road), I plan to get into technical and cave diving. I've been doing tons of research into DIR and DIR gear set-up and want to go that route. My question is: when taking my PADI AOW class and Rescue Diver class, will the intructors allow me to use a 7' primary regulator hose, a bungeed back-up reg, and not wear a snorkel? I'll be doing my dives in a quarry here in VA, so I don't really see the need for a snorkle. Also, since I know that down the road I'll be using a more tech-style set-up, I don't see any reason to wait to start diving that way.

Thanks,

JPO

There is nothing in PADI standards that forbids a long hose/bungied backup setup. You are required to have a snorkel in your possession; depending on the instructor, you may not be required to have it on your mask.

But I would highly, highly recommend you talk to the instructor you are going to use for those classes, and make sure HE is okay with your gear. I took my Rescue class from two instructors who had no familiarity at all with that equipment, and I think my NAUI instructor friend (who did) got very tired of the late-night phone calls saying, "How do you do thus-and-such with our setups?" I had to get the information from him and take it to my own instructors. At least they were not resistant to or unpleasant about my choice of equipment. Some are.

The only agency to not require the use of a snorkel is NASE. None of my students use them except when we are free diving.

If you are made to wear the snorkel(I was for PADI Rescue) be careful--it will try to grab the long hose when you donate, but it can be done. Just plan on putting it in a pocket or ditching it entirely after class.

My ow I had to wear it on my cert dives, but it just stays in my dive bag now. Part of your cert you have to use it

my snorkel looks like the wreck of the Hesperus...I would like to carry a folding one but man are they high for something hardly used.

My question is: when taking my PADI AOW class and Rescue Diver class, will the intructors allow me to use a 7' primary regulator hose, a bungeed back-up reg
Yes. I have had quite a number of students do AOW in a long hose and bungeed necklace - it is not a problem in AOW at all. In fact, it is also very useful in Rescue, to learn how to get out of that rig, at the surface, in several of the Rescue scenarios. I would echo the suggestion that you speak with the instructor before each course, simply to alert them to your rig.
and not wear a snorkel? I'll be doing my dives in a quarry here in VA, so I don't really see the need for a snorkle.
With your considerable experience (at least, based on your profile), it is not altogether surprising that you feel that way.
Also, since I know that down the road I'll be using a more tech-style set-up, I don't see any reason to wait to start diving that way.
The rig you describe has nothing whatsoever to do with a 'tech-style set-up'. It is merely an one of the several alternative rigs that can be used for ALL FORMS of diving. And, I agree, that there is no reason not to start while using the long hose and bungeed necklace. But, I would also suggest that you would probably get primarily a bemused smile from a knowledgeable instructor, if you approached him / her with some of the comments you have made in this post.

my snorkel looks like the wreck of the Hesperus...I would like to carry a folding one but man are they high for something hardly used.

High? As in pricey?
Try the Cressi Corsica, it's $19.99. You can tie it in a knot or roll it up then tuck in a pocket.
It's soft enough to be comfortable under your mask strap too.

cressi_05628_4.jpg

21200080098_cressi_corsica_snorkel.jpg

I love my Cressi Corsica. It folds into my DS pocket very nicely.

As TS&M stated, PADI do have standards that the student has to be "equipped" with a snorkel - that's common for all of their recreational (non-tech) diving courses. It's a standard merely because it is listed in the 'required equipment' section of the instructor manual. The key word is "equipped" - which is not the same as 'worn'.

My solution was to put two small circles of bungee along the side of my backplate - which holds a cheap snorkel nicely.

There's no 'training standards' issues with long hose, BP&W, bungee back-up etc. They fall under the general requirement to have a "BCD, regulator and alternate air source".

The instructor should teach you the courses, with you in the kit that you own and you will use afterwards. If they aren't of doing that - then just identify the excuses for what they are - and find a more experienced and/or flexible instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom