"New"-To Me Trans Pac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichiganScott

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Ok, I wanna know if I did the right thing. Note I am currently on a very constricted budget. Up to this point I’ve pretty much stuck with recreational diving but am thinking about getting into a little more advanced stuff in the future.

Due to a couple of surgery’s I was unable to dive last year; and, am now about a hundred pounds lighter than the last time I dove. That being said, the last time I dove I was using a 5X jacket style BC, (I’ve only ever used a jacket style BC). Since my weight loss even my old 3X jacket was too big, so I was planning on diving into a BP/W set up, then:

I happened to get a chance on a used Trans Pac in really good shape for a pretty good price (far less than the SS BP/ wing set up I was going to get. And I'll be damned if it doesn't fit really well, or at least I think it does, I really have no point of reference because of my size the entirety of my diving experience, I've never fit well into a BC, but I always had to "make-due", as any other large mammal types know what I’m talking about.

Anyway was the Trans Pac a good choice, especially since I want to get into tek?

If the price is good, then it's certainly an option. Most BP&W divers eventually gravitate towards a single-piece 'hog' harness, but the only real reason to recommend that from the offset is because of price (go for the cheaper option first and upgrade if necessary, rather than vice-versa).

The Transpac is a 'soft' backplate (opposed to the Transplate or other brand backplates) which are solid. This may cause future issues if you want to progress into using isolated manifold doubles. Good for sidemount though - which is increasingly popular as a tech configuration.

Personally, I don't like the 'cluttered' harness style - but if you're transitioning from a jacket BCD you won't notice the 'lack of minimalism' much.

The transpac is a nice setup, it is a modular customizable back inflate bc. Surface buoyancy will be different than your jacket bc, too much air in the wing and you get the uncomfortable feeling of getting your face pushed into the water. I have found underwater trim is better with a back inflate setup be it bp/wing, or back inflate back inflate bc. If you have your heart set on a backplate, while it much less expensive to weave your own harness, the transplate will give you padded straps, and quick releases like a conventional bc, with the stability and weight distribution of a backplate.

Don't forget the crotch strap.

I had a Transpac and loved it, but wanted to goto a more traditional BP/W setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom