Mask sealing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johncayce

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone know of a way to seal a mask over a moustache? I've tried vaseline and it works to some degree. Just wondering if anyone had luck with anything else?

I've avoided vaseline since it is pertrolium based tends to hard some materials. I've had sucess with chap stick, silicone and trimming the 'tache' in the past.

Silicone grease, or trim the monster to have a thin gap between nose and moustache. If all else fail, shave:shocked2:

i have a few nose rings and have the same issue. After a few dives of stopping to clear the whole dive I talked to a friend with a mustache and he said he always breaths out his nose. I tried it on the next week of diving and didnt have any issues at all ( other then the one dive I didnt use mask defog, that was a BAD drift dive :D)

Thanks for the input, I will try exhaling thru my nose, I tried that a little bit before and it seemed to clear the mask effectively enuf. Tks again!

I like my mask tighter on my face, so if I do breathe out thru nose to clear - I then push it against my face again for a better seal.
I've avoided vaseline since it is pertrolium based tends to hard some materials. I've had sucess with chap stick, silicone and trimming the 'tache' in the past.
Vaseline is indeed bad on silicone masks. Silicone grease has worked well for me.

I use silicon grease, applied to the mask skirt, not the face. Also, an occasional exhale through the mask is necessary to "equalize" that space, and avoid excess pressure of the mask on your face(what I call the raccoon effect), but excess nose breathing will give you fogging conditions, and will probably cause more leakage than you would otherwise have. A little trim, silicon grease, and you should be good to go.
DivemasterDennis

Back
Top Bottom