Information about Rangiroa/Manihi for a scientific research survey expedition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kara.mcnair

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I'm volunteering to help with logistics for a prof specializing in cephalopod behaviour who is planning a 4-6 week expedition to study cyanea octopus ("Day Octopus") in the South Pacific. It's been suggested that these two atolls (Rangiroa & Mahini) are a good place to find them (outside of Hawaii, where she's already done studies).

I'm looking for any advice/suggestions/help on:
- where to rent a house for 4-6 weeks that can house 4-8 people (the observers are volunteers who come for a couple of weeks at a time). Manihi seems to be pretty thin on cheaper accommodation so I'm focused more on Rangiroa. I am very open to finding home-stays or other more creative options if you've got ideas.
- what the best snorkelling areas are for finding Day Octopus that are reasonably accessible from places where we might be able to stay
- tips on transport to the snorkelling sites.

I'm a diver myself, recently certified as an instructor and although the plan for observation is currently snorkelling only, I'm more than happy to work with a shop to certify any volunteer observers who might be interested. Or in finding volunteer observers from any shops in the area :)

Thanks in advance for any assistance. Frankly, I'd be thrilled just to make contact with anyone local to that area that I could email occasionally for advice or thoughts.

Cheers!
Kara

Back
Top Bottom