TRIP REPORT: Raja Ampat TAMBORA DIVE Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ecregan

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My husband and I just finished up a 2 week trip to Raja Ampat and a fabulous 12 day cruise aboard the Tambora. We enjoy liveaboard diving because of the convenience and opportunity to see sites you would never reach as part of a resort or land based excursion. Thanks to the hospitality of owner Uwe Gunther, skill of Dive Guides Peter and Christina and attentiveness of the entire crew we had another great trip aboard the Tambora.

We were scheduled to sail with World Wide Dive and Sail aboard the Mandarin Siren and received word New Year's Eve that the boat burned and we needed to reschedule. As you know, the logistics of a trip to Indo (from the East Coast of the US) are involved (especially for someone that likes to make all the reservations herself!!! lesson learned...) WWDAS was incredibly helpful and introduced us to Tambora owner Uwe. Communications with Uwe were top-notch and we were rebooked and on our way in no time --thanks again, Uwe!

Dive Guide Peter met is at the Sorong airport and whisked us away to the docks. The Tambora is a new boat with comfy, clean cabins, camera room, lots of storage for dive gear and plenty of space to relax (salon, fore and aft deck space).

We traveled mid-February and enjoyed very calm seas and excellent visibility. Uwe and the crew planned the itinerary so that we were the only vessel on nearly ALL the dive sites (except for one or two). Lots of gorgeous soft corals, nudibranchs, cuddle fish, a fabulous manta show (several entire dives with schools of mantas circle overhead, coming in close--fantastic !), crocodile fish, woebegon sharks, blue ring octopus, loads of cuttlefish -- and even a close encounter after one dive with pods of pilot whales...

We have traveled extensively on liveaboards -- lots of Peter Hughes and Aggressor boats (Maldives, Palau, Belize, Komodo/Bali, Fiji, Caymans, Cocos...) and have always had excellent service. We are happy to report that Raja Ampat and the Tambora are now on this list. The food excellent (Indo and Western options offered) and service by the crew was superior .. they were attentive to your every need --- from ordering food to hanging up wet suits for you after every dive.

Our only suggestion for improvement was for a larger camera room.

Book on the Tambora -- you will really enjoy the diving, food and relaxing company ... www.tamboradive.com.

~ Beth

Dive Sites ‘Four Kingdoms of the East’ Cruise 4-15 Feb 2012
Dampier Strait
Misool - Sagof
Misool - Daram
Misool - Boo
Misool - Fiabacet
Dive Site
Sardine Reef Blue Magic Mioskon Misokon (ND)
Blue Magic Cape Kri Manta Sandy
Baby Rock Two Tree island K Squared Fish Bite Reef Candy Store Andiamo Cowfish Rock Crustacean Station Magic Mountain Boo Rocks East Boo Boo Slope
Tank Rock Nudi Rock Birthday Cake Potato Point
Misool - Wayil
Misool - Balbulol
Batanta
Batanta
Dive Site
Dunia Kecil Barracuda Reef Wedding Cake Scary Slope
No Contest (2x) Love Potion #9
Nelayan Diversity Happy Ending (2x)
Algae Patch 1 Algae Patch 2

Nice trip report. I was on a different boat during the same period, and we saw Tambora a couple of times during our route. She looks lovely from what I could see of her. The whales? I thought they were orcas?

Sounds like a fantastic trip! May I ask how you flew from the East Coast to Sorong and how long it took you?

Hmmm...that list of sites differed quite a bit from my own RA trip on another boat. Good to hear there is good coverage and more to see... Thanks for the report.

hello!

nice report and good to hear that your trip was worthwhile! the great thing of liveaboard diving operations is the coverage of the entire region. i personally do not enjoy too much staying all the time in a boat, and like to have the option of walking in the beach and not feel the boat rocking (i get dizzy). i recently came back from a trip raja ampat and stayed in one of the many homestays in the region. great cultural enrichment it was, combined with diving and great location was the ingredients for a great holiday. just a few words to recommend to others if you want to add this type of mix into your travels. experience real papua, both underwater and with papua people and culture. i stayed with yenkoranu homestay and all was great. like myself, i was not aware a few months ago that this accommodation alternative existed, and thought that only possible was to stay in liveaboard or expensive resort. just another option for those who do not want to spend so much money and share a cultural experience.

have a great day!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom