Realistically, how much experience should you have to start DM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickthompson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have about 50 dives under my belt and am signed up to take Rescue this summer, but would it be too soon to do DM the following year? I know there are tons of noobs like me wanting to take the "zero to hero" path, and I know to be a good DM you should have much more experience than I currently do, but the only reason I want to do DM is so that I'm able to become a DAN instructor and possibly DMT. I'm currently an EMT, working part time with an ambulance service, and studying biology (w/ pre-med concentration). I'm an AHA CPR instructor and want to be able to bring the two things I love together more: diving and EMS. I hope do do a little more diving within the next year, so I would possibly start DM with ~80 dives. Is this enough to just get through the course?

As has been discussed here in many different threads, I don't think you can use dive count to assess experience. I think a much better way of deciding about doing a DM class is to ask yourself what you have to offer students or people you would guide or lead. Can you be a stellar visual model of good diving, with good buoyancy control, quietness in the water, and the ability to leave the site undisturbed? Do you have the situational awareness to be able to manage your own dive while still monitoring one or more other people on a frequent basis, and maintain your buoyancy and navigational accuracy? Do you have experience in a variety of settings, so that you can answer people's questions about how to do things with an eye to more than your own local conditions?

I wanted to go straight to professional/teaching certs when I learned to dive, because I loved it, and I loved teaching. Luckily, I got derailed in the process, and brought nose to nose with the evidence that I wasn't nearly the diver I thought I was. It was about 800 dives later, when I decided I finally knew enough and could do enough to really have good things to offer as a DM. I feel really good about doing that work now.

It depends on the candidate. If you read my profile you'll see that I went the zero the hero path. I luckily had plenty of mentors, scubaboard, and great instructors so I think I'm pretty knowledgeable than most who take the zero to hero route.
I've also spent most of my diving career with the same program, mainly TA-ing classes, so looking out and sticking with dive groups is nothing new or difficult for me.

One of my friends and mentor got me to be GUE inspired and during my DM training I vastly improved on my buoyancy control, which made everything much easier.

You can do it but to be a great DM and not the type that often gets posted about on the forum, you need to keep an open mind and be able to take criticisms. Having plenty of dive buddies who will openly criticize you and provide input is also a great thing :D.
Even with all that there will still be plenty of learning experiences from then on.

You're not going to be a great DM by the end of your training, but how fast you improve depends on your drive. I know I'm still getting into the swing of things.

As much experience and as diverse as you can acquire because when someone does ask you a question, then it is always better to be able to relate a practical application rather than ''the manual says to do so'' type of answer. Lynne also brought up a very important point...the example you set will speak volume. Actions speak louder than words.

With others, your skill level and comfort level in the water,which comes from hours of diving in a variety of conditions, is the key point. If I was the king of scuba, I would require 100 HOURS of open water diving as a prerequisite. However, there are competent divemaster candidates with substantially less, and some that aren't ready who have even more. The more experience in various equipment and conditions you have, the better dive pro you will be, though many divers dive in the one type of environment only and that is ok as well. It's not just a title you are after, it is a level of professional performance and responsibility to be achieved. One key self evaluation point is this: Have you independently planned and safely executed dives with no one supervising you ? (but with a buddy of course). If you have and can, you are probably ready for the DM program. May the force be with you as continue your education at the professional level. I think you will know when you are ready.
DivemasterDennis

Getting certified as a DM doesnt mean that you have to work as a DM. You can gain more experience during and after the course. Remember your instructor will be there to coach you along during the class and if your instructor is anything like mine he wont put you near students until your ready. I agree that a number of dives is not a way to judge experience. Your instructor should be able to tell you if your ready. That is unless he is one of those instructors just trying to push you along so he can make a few dollars off of you. If thats the case you have an entirely seperate issue. Good luck.

As much experience and as diverse as you can acquire ...

I agree with this.

There are a lot of people who go on a number of dive trips to the same kind of location every year, accumulate a decent number of dives, see that they are clearly among the better divers they encounter on these trips, and think it is time to go pro. They never realize how many other kinds of diving in how many other kinds of locations there are. I know this because I was just such a diver myself.

Go out of your way to dive in different environments. Use different kinds of exposure protection. You certainly can't learn them all, but get in as many as you can before you decide that you are ready.

Rick
In my opinion it's kind of like the EMS world where you have students go straight thru the class from EMT to medic. Now when I did my EMT training you first had to be a basic for a year and get a letter of recommendation to become a EMT I then another year and another letter to even take the medic course. Then things changed and over all the quality of medics changed for the worse.
It's kind of the same in diving you really need to have a lot of experience between those levels ,what is the magic number there is none. Every diver is a little different but I will tell you the same as I tell the new Emt's. Don't be in a hurry take your time and enjoy the diving .
You can always work with you friends providi g CPR classes for divers.

Cheers
Michael

I just saw a post for a new DM who had less than 50 dives and no equipment of her own . I just can't see that as a real option

Cheers
michael

Depends entirely on the candidate.
I've seen good candidates making it through to instructor in 150 dives while the same shop owner was refusing applications from divers with 400+ dives to become DMs.
I've seen divers with 35 dives completing long, tough, mask-off, wreck penetration training delivered by cave instructors while other candidates with many times the experience level freaked out almost immediately.
With 50 dives under your belt, provided they've been under a variety of conditions, you should already be able to make a self-judgement about your abilities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom