Pool Hovering issues.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tommik

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Am having some issues hovering in the Buddha position in the pool.

I usually hover in a horizontal "skydiver" position when in the open water with no issues can keep hovering for a sustained time and stay within about half a meter of my desired depth. Eg when doing a deco/saftey stop with no issues

Get in the pool and try to hover in the Buddha position bam! I'm rolling backwards! have tried adjusting weight positioning and cylinder position. I'm staring to frustrated with this anybody else had this issue?

Why do you feel that you have to be able to hover in the "buddha" position? It isn't a requirement to hold that position, the requirement is to hover. Personally, I would concentrate on hovering in more usual diving positions.

If you are rolling backwards, it may be you aren't as upright in the water as you think, or your weights are too far to the back (you did mention repositioning weights). When you hold the fin tips, try to straighten as much as possible and keep looking straight ahead.

Being able to hover in the "buddha" position depends on your weighting i.e where on your body you have most or your weight. Years ago when I wore a BC I could "buddha" hover, in a backplate I have a tendency to tip backwards.

Why would you really need to ? I have never seen a need to hover in a budda position a safety stop or at depth . I never could hold it without rolling over to my back or side . i was told to use my body position to control the center of gravity . I can get it some time . I use the horizontal position a lot more comfortable . good luck in mastering the budda hover . I am sure some one will chime in and give you some real good pointers

I have had lots of divers struggle with the budda position but the actual position isn't a requirement for certification just the ability to hover. Also can be highly dependant on the type of BCD you are using as with a wing I would imagine it would prove very difficult.

I'm starting the DM course, the Buddha is the "advised" position to demonstrate the hover in.

Also using the Oceanic Probe HLC BCD

There is no official "advised" position. It is a position that was adopted and hasn't changed. Do it inverted on your head if you want.

I'm starting the DM course, the Buddha is the "advised" position to demonstrate the hover in.

Also using the Oceanic Probe HLC BCD

Its not really required to accomplish anything. I believe the real reason they do it is to spice up the course a little for the OW candidates. Its very easy for me to do but then again I am always doing it at the aquarium and in the pool. The reason that so many LDS want you to do it also its though its not a standard its something pretty much easy to do in shallower waters. Kind of hard to hover vertical in a 10 foot pool. And to superman style can prove challenging for a newer student too. Most I Have seen have difficulties with the fin pivot and their feet tend to want to stay down.

Just my 2 cents!

Its not really required to accomplish anything. I believe the real reason they do it is to spice up the course a little for the OW candidates. Its very easy for me to do but then again I am always doing it at the aquarium and in the pool. The reason that so many LDS want you to do it also its though its not a standard its something pretty much easy to do in shallower waters. Kind of hard to hover vertical in a 10 foot pool. And to superman style can prove challenging for a newer student too. Most I Have seen have difficulties with the fin pivot and their feet tend to want to stay down.

Just my 2 cents!

The other nice thing about the Buddha position is that it precludes use of hands and fins for sculling. I don't think you need to make students do it, but I always demo it that way because it's a great way to emphasize that you can completely control your position in the water column using just breath control. (Plus, at 6'2" it's a nice compact way for me to demo the skill.)

The other nice thing about the Buddha position is that it precludes use of hands and fins for sculling. I don't think you need to make students do it, but I always demo it that way because it's a great way to emphasize that you can completely control your position in the water column using just breath control. (Plus, at 6'2" it's a nice compact way for me to demo the skill.)

and it looks kinda cool...:cool2: I was impressed the very first time I saw someone doing it.

Back
Top Bottom