Diving Log

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
When I got certified my dive instructor gave us a small diving log book and basic instruction on how to use it. Unfortunately, I dont even know where it is anymore and havent really kept up with it. Is keeping a dive log something that is important, or is it just something that some people choose to do?

You will get all kinds of opinions on this. I'll state it this way- keeping up a dive log is a very good idea. Not only will you have a diary of diving experiences, you will have proof of experience if some dive operator requires it ( which happens for some dives) You will also create a database of information on your air consumption, proper weight when wearing certain gear, and etc. It is also a place to keep a list of dive buddies and potential dive buddies. Places you liked to dive and places you don't need to bother with again. Dive log a necessity? no. A really really good idea? Yes.
DivemasterDennis

It's important to have if you want evidence of your experience for future instruction (e.g., if you want to pursue a professional level of diving).

It's also cool to have a record of all of your dives. I like looking back and seeing how I've improved in certain abilities (and my comfort level) compared to my first few dives.

Thus, if you really don't want to do it, I'd still suggest recording your first 100 at least.

Some dive charters may ask for it. If you want to do additional training some courses require proof of number of dives. If your just diving locally it won't matter. But you never know where your diving is going to take you so it's good to have one in my opinion. Even locally, keeping track of your equipment, water temps, and things seen is nice to refer back to when planning future dives.

Thanks for all the input! I guess i need to order new log book, anyone have a brand suggestion?

Some classes have dive count prerequisites (although nobody ever asked to look at my log to prove I was there). Some charter operators want to see your log, although the only ones I've run into were in Australia. But mostly, the log is for you . . . it can help you remember how much weight you used with a given combination of exposure protection and tank; it can help you remember things you wanted to note about how to dive a given site. Log entries can bring back great memories, too -- I love the page in my log book when I passed GUE Fundamentals. I drew fireworks all over the page!

Of course, many of us eventually just end up downloading our computers, and keeping a lot that way -- but I still make narrative notes in that log, and I still record weight or anything notable about the dive.

I use a notebook. I keep track of dates, dive sites, time and depth, weight and exposure protection, and water temp. I also keep track of dive boat and DM or other instructors if they are present. Always note if I see something I haven't seen before. If I'm teaching I keep track of course, students, skills and conditions.

I moved away from using a preprinted log book because my notes are not always the same, and don't fall into the "categories" of most logbooks out there. For example, it's been years since I planned a dive using a table, and so have no use for "pressure group" markings. I DO include photos in my log if I've seen something awesome. I might also draw a map of a dive site and that sort of thing.

I could download my computer, but for me, I'm a paper lover... and in fact, was flipping through my logbook just this morning, reminiscing. :) To each his own!

kari

I used to use paper log books but after purchasing several...all different in size and shape and format, I happily download my dives from my dive computer onto my laptop. Then I add things in the notes section like others have mentioned above. At the end of my trip, I use it to verify how many tanks I used including nitrox, who all the DMs and captains were on which dives and which boats so tips can be properly apportioned, and notes on any questions I might want to ask back on dry land. It is an EXCELLENT way of tracking how much weight you used wearing what gear and exposure protection so that you aren't making a wild guess on your next dive. My memory isn't what it used to be!

Back
Top Bottom