Is there a situation in which you would intentionally remove your mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ktkt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thinking about mask removal and replacement skills...

So, it's clear that you want to be able to replace your mask if it should ever come off (say, someone kicks it off), and you can't really practice putting something back on if it hasn't come off in the first place, so we take masks off simply to practice putting them back on.

But is there a situation on a dive where removing your mask temporarily would somehow be helpful? I am having a hard time imagining one. The closest I have come was on a dive where I forgot to defog before going in. A few rinses underwater didn't really help, so I wanted to rub the interior surface of my mask. To do so, I just kind of poked one finger in while keeping my mask on, and that did the trick.

I have both sneezed and blown my nose under water. Believe me, both are better without the mask on.

I have because I had a something in my eye. It's not a big deal.

I have several times, once a small perch thought it would be funny to bite my mask strap and he kept swimming around my head biting it so I just took it off. Also in cave training for drills you take it off quite frequently.

But is there a situation on a dive where removing your mask temporarily would somehow be helpful? I am having a hard time imagining one. The closest I have come was on a dive where I forgot to defog before going in. A few rinses underwater didn't really help, so I wanted to rub the interior surface of my mask. To do so, I just kind of poked one finger in while keeping my mask on, and that did the trick.

If you are having persistent fogging while on a tropical reef and can find a previously broken off piece of sponge, wiping out the mask thoroughly what that sponge does a surprisingly good job. You will wan to remove your mask for that as well.

I've actually had a contact become dislodged. Remove mask, carefully take out contact, very carefully put contact back in, replace mask, clear mask, continue dive.

As soon as I got back to the boat I took the lens out and thoroughly rinsed both the lens and my eye (you never know)

I sometimes get an itch somewhere behind my mask. It's easier to scratch if I take the mask off first.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As others has mentioned, fogging masks, contacts and itches is times where its handy to remove your mask.
Ive also removed my mask for such reasons several times. Ive also removed my mask to adjust the strap and because its been leaky due to the hood or hair being stuck under the seal. Ive also have a mask strap break during a dive, which of course where NOT intentional, but it was a good thing I had a spare (or actual old) one in my pocket.

Removing the mask is something I have never had any issue with though, except I dont like to do it in chlorinated water as my eyes get a bit red and irritated by the chlorine. Nothing I cant live with though.

Thinking about mask removal and replacement skills...

So, it's clear that you want to be able to replace your mask if it should ever come off (say, someone kicks it off), and you can't really practice putting something back on if it hasn't come off in the first place, so we take masks off simply to practice putting them back on.

Yeah, the only reason I've taken mine off is to defog. :idk: Sometimes it fogs. But even at 70 or 80 feet it doesn't bother me to take it off, if needed. It's a good skill to have. I consider it a confidence builder. If you can calmly remove and replace your mast at 80 feet you'll be surprised how you will relax and feel confident going forward.

I was on a dive once where one of my buddies had used a defog that was new to him. Partway through the dive, he rolled over on his back to look at the bottom of something, and got his eyes full of water with defog in it. He got an awful reaction -- his eyes stung horribly and turned bright red. He took the mask off, rubbed it and rinsed it repeatedly, but we had to call the dive and go in. We guided him, and he kept his mask off.

Back
Top Bottom