Wetsuit needed for Southern California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

P House

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everybody! I've only been diving in warm water before (gulf coast, florida, carribbean). However, I'm going to be going to grad school next year for fish biology in southern california and was wondering what type of wetsuit is best for diving out west. I've been told that in the winter you want a 7mil full body, but what about summer? Any insight would be great. Thanks!

7mm, hood, gloves, booties all year. It's not uncommon for it to be 75 above water and at depth mid to high 50's in the summer. In the winter and through the year people dive 8mm and drysuits also most of us use of mix them diving through the year.

The Caribbean is warmed by the gyre that picks up heat all the way from the Sahara, whereas the gyre that serves California's entire coastline picks up cold all the way from Siberia, rounding at Alaska. :cold: All the wetsuit you got or can get is good.

Brrrr..... 7mm.

7mm with hood, gloves, and booties. The water doesn't vary much and is still in lower 60's at best in the summer. One year did get into the lower 70's, but wouldn't expect that warm of water.

7mm wetsuit, gloves and hooded vest- or all year around drysuit.

I use a 7mm rear zip suit, with 5mm hooded vest, 5mm boots and 3mm gloves year round. That's a workhorse suit you'll need here. If you're doing long scientific dives you'll probably want eventually a light-weight drysuit.

7mm with hooded vest for winter or drysuit for me and during the summer 7mm with a hood, you can get away with a nice 5mm with hood during the summer for single dives or more if you tend to feel warmer. i would dive 7m with jooded vest even during the summer for a 3-4 dive day off the boat.

Back
Top Bottom