Thigh pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjpatrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm going to make a couple of thigh pockets that will either velcro or elastic strap to my leg and maybe my waist belt on my harness. I'm wondering, for those who use them, what size pockets have worked best for you?

Most of the commercial pockets I've found are around 10 inches long, by 4 or 6 inches wide with maybe a 2 or 3 inch depth capacity, but that seems very large to me.

Anyone have smaller pockets that are actually useful while diving?

My pockets on my drysuit are about the size you state (whatever the default size is on the fusion bullet skin)

On my wetsuit I've aquasealed the Halcyon explorer(?) pocket, which is also large. I really like these pockets - they have bungeed loops where I can clip things off and there's a clever zipper pouch in the top flap.

Let us know how it works out with the "unattached" pockets. I had an OMS pocket that did something similar to what I think you're suggesting and I didn't like it (hence the glued down version I have now). Interesting to see if you come to a similar conclusion - once I loaded up the pockets with wet notes, spare mask, knife, two spools, SMB, etc. if was just big and moved around more than I was comfortable with.

I use these ones, DC Thigh Pocket Velcro enclosure, and like them, for me size is perfect it holds all my emergency gear.

2nd pocket down.

BC Accessory Pockets by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express
Those are basically the same thing I was thinking of doing when I did my first searches for after-market pockets. Do you find the elastic on the thigh strap works well for keeping it stable? I was thinking velcro because I have a lot of it available, but the elastic would, to my mind, keep it in the same place better than velcro would.

I don't really have a lot I'm going to put in these pockets but my SMB isn't exactly super compact, especially with a finger reel so I'm torn between small and not likely to move a lot and large enough to be useful but maybe move around more.

At this point I might put an SMB and a small wet notes or slate in a single pocket but I can't think of much more I want to put there. My sheers and z-cutter are both on my harness belt, though I may move one of those down to my leg if I make two pockets.

I mentioned in another thread I seem to be moving more and more toward a "tech" rig, and these pockets are another step in that direction... a lot of these things just make sense.

I tried using the pockets that are held in place on your leg by a band. I was trying to save money by just having one set of pockets that I could move from suit to suit. After the first dive I yanked off them band and glued them down. They just wanted to keep rolling to the front of my thing. Every wet and drysuit I own now has glued on pockets.

If you're thinking of going to tech eventually and you're going to have whatever piece of exposure gear you have now, just go with the big glue on pockets to start.

No one ever complained that they had too much space to put stuff.

I have the Diverite Bellows Pocket that's 10X6in and expands to 2.5in.
I can fit a 6ft/40lb SMB, a 100ft delrin finger spool, and the Dive rite Wetnotes. That's it, it's stuffed.

Don't make the pocket smaller, you need that room. :wink:

I keep my pocket on my Bp/W waist strap. Only problem is when I pull the velcro flap open quickly, the bottom likes to come along for the ride and the top stays velcroed. So basically I have to use two hands or slowly pull the flap open to avoid torquing the bottom.
I also have to adjust my waist strap buckle when I switch exposure protections, unless I take off the pocket.

I've heard mixed reviews on the elastic band pocket. If you have the room on your wetsuit I'd go with glue on pockets.

I've used the DUI bellows pockets on 2 of my suits and prefer them to the smaller pockets. Not so much for what I'm storing, but the larger pocket is easier to get into with thick gloves on.

I've also found the zipper closer is better for when you're upside down.... Just remeber to keep it closed or you'll be chasing tools and fasteners all over the bottom..... Not that I've ever done that......:confused:

+1 for skipping right to the glue-on pocket. A tech instructor required me to put one (of the big Halcyon ones Mat mentioned) on my wetsuit, and although I complained about it a lot at the time, I now wonder what I ever did without it. It fits my spare mask and my wet notes with room to spare for whatever trash I might find on the reef. I've used the small zippered pocket on the outside for shark teeth. In short--I would definitely buy it again.

My drysuit's pocket is smaller and much less pleasant to use. Without the interior loops to clip things onto, and with stuff generally crammed more tightly in there, I worry that taking one thing out will cause everything to come flying out.

tools and fasteners all over the bottom..... Not that I've ever done that......:confused:

That's why you use a bungee loop inside the pocket and use a double ender bolt snap to attach everything in the pocket to the bungee. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom