allister

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

allister

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I first went diving about 10 years ago on holiday and loved it i wanted to
continue when i got back home but about month r 2 after getting home i went
to my local swimming pool and as soon as i went under the water i heard a
rush of water going into my left ear and the pain was extreme and every
thing stared 2 spin i did not know what was up r down and had to be pulled
out by the life guard. for about a week after i could hear a wishing sound
in that ear. every morning my pillow was wet with fluid coming out of my ear
i have been nervous about going under water ever since i am going on holiday
to Mexico in 5 weeks and wood love to go diving there but dont know if i
should. any 1 know what this might of have been.

This does not sound normal. Probably worth consulting a doctor. Certainly while diving you get water in your ears as they equalize, but you should not have pain. Did you equalize when you did this? If not you may have ruptured something. It's also very odd that you have water draining from your ears for days. Best advice is to see a doctor. If you are okay do a scuba tune up class to refresh and make sure you equalize when you go under.

Like people have said in the other post, you probably have a perforated eardrum. See a ENT ASAP or you could get a nasty infection and possibly ruin your chances of ever being able to dive or even swim underwater.
Try to keep water out of that ear when showering.
The lifeguards should have suggested this if they did a proper victim assessment after pulling you out.

I read somewhere that if there is pain when water enters the ear, it means perforated ear drum. I am surprised you still haven't gone to see an ENT doc after a week. If it was me having that accident, i would try to see a doc right away and would not even think about diving at all right now.

Hope everything turns out ok tho...

As g1138 said sounds like a perforated eardum, the spinning, rush of water, swishing sound e.t.c. are all typical symptoms of a perforated eardrum. As mentioned the danger is that you get water in your inner ear which then causes infection.

There is some good information with regards to diving and perforated eardrums here:

Diving Medicine, FAQs, Common Diving Problems, London Recompression & Hyperbaric facilities - The London Diving Chamber

We had a guy who joined our dive club with a perforated ear drum, he had to go on a course of antibiotics to prevent infection and wait for the eardrum to fully heal before we took him in the sea but once he was all healed he was perfectly fine.

I see from your profile that you are in belfast? If you have a look at this document:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...ypjZBg&usg=AFQjCNGkiOvwZjizaLXZ30odWJsy5GJKOQ

That lists various the medical referees used by BSAC, SSAC, SAA e..c. I dont know if you belong to any of these organisations but it may be worth contacting one of the referees on that page anyway if you are worried since they will generally have a good idea of how any medical problems will affect your diving. When the aforementioned gentleman with the perforated eardrum joined our club we spoke to one of them (cant remember which exactly) and where given some good advice on the precautions to take, what to look out for e.t.c.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom