Oceanic OC1 Special Edition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

t-mac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, so I've just about convinced myself I need a new computer and I've kind of settled on this. I want AI wireless and it seemed to come down to the Oceanic and Suunto models for me. At regular price I wouldn't have this at the top of the list but the special edition is on sale everywhere. I've read some reviews and they are all positive. Why is the SE so much less than the regular version? Any thoughts from people who have taken the plunge?

It's on sale so they can reduce inventory. I will be picking mine up at my local dive shop tomorrow. He got it for me for hundreds less than the non special edition including the wireless transmitter and ti band. No brainer. The only downside I see vs the Suunto is that the digital compass is not tilt compensated. Don't shoot an azimuth upside down I guess. I also opted for the OC1 because I have a datamask so they will both work off the same transmitter.

I've also wondered why the limited edition can be had for cheaper than the standard version. I chose the LE for looks as well as price - it was considerably cheaper than the D9. I had to remove the titanium band tho.

Took the plunge on the OC1 LE/SE/Pioneer. Took it to the pool today and it performed great. I've seen complaints about it being complicated, but I don't see it. Once you learn the menu structure its simple. The manual sucks, but the Oceanic rep on SB is very responsive if you have any questions. I had concerns about whether the transmitter would function well because I situated it on the right side of my reg and the computer was on my left arm, but it worked great. Never lost signal. Nice book comes with it and the computer is very nice looking. Small enough to be a watch and I think I'll use it as such when I travel. I switched off the titanium band and will probably just keep the rubber band on it. Re the compass, I didn't buy it for that, but it seems to work fine. It's kind of crazy -- you can adjust for local declination and I'm not sure why you would ever do that when you aren't navigating against nautical charts, but whatever. Anyway, I'm pleased -- certainly at the sale price.

Congratulations on your new OC1-LE. Mine is #18 :wink:

If you register it with Oceanic they will send you a free Activation Code for the OC1 online class.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom