Vortex & the reward $$$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bobby

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am an IUCRR recovery diver and was one of a number of divers called for the incident of Ben to rescue/recover him. At the time that I was called I begged off the recovery (that is what they are when you consider it was a 7 hour drive for me to get there). The reason I declined was because I knew other divers had more experience in the particular cave than I do. After Ed made his dives there I was again called to make a push dive and loaded gas to do so because it is rare to get a second call after declining the first. In the end I loaded gas but did not make a dive after knowing all that had been done from Ed and others.

My point of this post is to give some perspective to recent events. I have been cave diving and doing exploration for over 20 years. I have pushed some rather small, deep, and difficult systems. I have extreme respect for Ed and the others that have worked at Vortex. I have also been out of work for the last few years due to the economy and the type of work I do away from diving. I have also worked in the dive industry and lived in "Cave Country" a good amount of time. With that being said I have no intention or desire to go push Vortex for any reason much less the reward which is IMHO only begging to get others dead.

I am just a diver yet have done a thing or two over my time. I have pushed some very deep no mount cave systems, hold the record for the second deepest blue hole discovery, and have penetrated a few thousand feet of new cave. My point is that I know this system and searching further is not worth the time even if there was no reward. The money is not worth is and I ask that no one else please put their life at risk.

I will not put my life at risk for something like this and I beg others to do the same. If you are thinking of doing a dive here for any reason I ask that you first call Ed and speak with him about what is really required to get to the point he did and how dangerous the system is.

Thanks and safe diving,

Bobby

Good for you, Bobby. Good post.

I am an IUCRR recovery diver and was one of a number of divers called for the incident of Ben to rescue/recover him. At the time that I was called I begged off the recovery (that is what they are when you consider it was a 7 hour drive for me to get there). The reason I declined was because I knew other divers had more experience in the particular cave than I do. After Ed made his dives there I was again called to make a push dive and loaded gas to do so because it is rare to get a second call after declining the first. In the end I loaded gas but did not make a dive after knowing all that had been done from Ed and others.

My point of this post is to give some perspective to recent events. I have been cave diving and doing exploration for over 20 years. I have pushed some rather small, deep, and difficult systems. I have extreme respect for Ed and the others that have worked at Vortex. I have also been out of work for the last few years due to the economy and the type of work I do away from diving. I have also worked in the dive industry and lived in "Cave Country" a good amount of time. With that being said I have no intention or desire to go push Vortex for any reason much less the reward which is IMHO only begging to get others dead.

I am just a diver yet have done a thing or two over my time. I have pushed some very deep no mount cave systems, hold the record for the second deepest blue hole discovery, and have penetrated a few thousand feet of new cave. My point is that I know this system and searching further is not worth the time even if there was no reward. The money is not worth is and I ask that no one else please put their life at risk.

I will not put my life at risk for something like this and I beg others to do the same. If you are thinking of doing a dive here for any reason I ask that you first call Ed and speak with him about what is really required to get to the point he did and how dangerous the system is.

Thanks and safe diving,

Bobby
they give out records for second deepest? :D jk

good post

I received an email from Shelby McDaniel today. He said they have removed the reward associated with Ben McDaniel at Vortex Spring.
That's the best news to come from a bleak situation.

I received an email from Shelby McDaniel today. He said they have removed the reward associated with Ben McDaniel at Vortex Spring.

Great news. It has got to be heart wrenching for these poor folks....

Thank you Mr. McDaniel. Sincerely, thank you. I am wholly certain that there are still divers who will dive Vortex and will be mindful of your loss, and equally mindful of your hopes. And for those reasons, no one will ever truly stop looking.

Thank you Shelby. Can promise you that cave divers will keep their eye open,and notify the proper authorities if something should come to light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom