Storing Scuba Cylinders and Dive equipment in a self storage locker?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nielsent

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Just as the title says,

Does anyone do this? Would love to know if there are people doing this in major Canadian Cities.

-- nielsent

Tangential to your question: many (most?) self store companies do not allow storage of compressed gas.

Store your cylinders standing up and chained. They should be either full or have just a few hundred PSI in them. By doing this in the event that they are exposed to a fire they will either a) blow the burst disk due to the fact that they were full and the gas inside will expand due to the heat or b) the cylinder will fail due to the heat and release the few hundred PSI you had in them.

I did this for a few monhts while our house was on the market, years, but now all is again stored in my house (big basement). All gear was thoroughly dried and then placed in air tight plastic containers to protect it from dust and bugs. Cylinders (only 2)were stored with 200psi, in a rack designed and built for that purpose. The proprietor of the storage facility did not object (I gave notice to avoid any liability issues) I was never really comfortable having my stuff stored off site, to be truthful. I like it close and secure.
DivemasterDennis

Just as the title says,

Does anyone do this? Would love to know if there are people doing this in major Canadian Cities.

-- nielsent

The US DOT stops classifying SCUBA Cylinders as hazardous when the pressure is below 40 or 50 PSI (don't remember which).

Canada may be different.

flots.

I'm thinking I might like to see Brandi from Storage Wars in a tight rubber suit.

Or better yet, Brandi without a suit. :eyebrow:

I own self storage units and my experience with others in the industry indicates you probably better ask, or read the lease language (a shocking thing to suggest, I know). Some leases will say no compressed gases, some will say no hazardous materials. Those unfamiliar with scuba tanks may think they are highly hazardous. In real life, most storage managers never monitor what goes into the storage units so you can store if you want. Just use a good sense of safety. Storing with the tanks at low pressure is most safe. Do not store propane tanks or gasoline in storage units, or any other highly flammable materials.

The quality of buildings vary GREATLY. Some are not "pest proof" at all so you better use good storage containers to protect your things. If you live in a humid climate then you may need to use "Damp Rid" to prevent mildew, or pay the higher cost for climate controlled (I wouldn't). Also be sure to check on insurance. Most homeowners insurance will cover stored goods, so don't think you have to buy insurance the storage guy wants to sell you. Check on insurance coverage with your own insurance agent before renting.

#1 - LOOK around at the storage facility and the actual unit before you rent. If the place is not well maintained, if there is trash laying around or the buildings are falling apart, then the quality of the building is probably poor and the safety of your stuff is probably not as good.

I have an indoor climate controlled storage unit and store multiple tanks (~20) in there. I cleared it with the owner ahead of time and assured him I was NOT storing high O2 content. (Nitrox <40% yes) He was OK with it. Gives me my garage back to park my car inside for the winter and/or for projects!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom