Your Post-Cavern Gear Configuration

What was Your Post-Cavern Cave Class Configuration?

• Single-tank, mostly minimum equipment

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Doubles, but not full cave equipment

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Full Cave equip (per agency req'mts)

Votes: 37 86.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax

Deplorable American
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The recent cuss & discuss on tanks piqued my curiosity. (Ruh-roh! :shocked2: )

So, in what configuration did you take your first cave class after cavern? Example, NACD Intro to Cave.

• Single tank, with Y or H valve, pretty much all minimums.
  • Double tanks (not ponies), rest is pretty much minimums.
  • Full cave gear (as described in your agencies equipment requirements).

Please don't make this an argument of what should've, could've, oughto've been . . I would like to know what People DO/DID.

If you won't mind, would you share the 'why' you went in the config you chose?

Also, if you were trained before there were doubles, please say so. :snicker:

Doubles - Full Cave setup

I knew I'd be continuing through to Cave classes and I didn't want to retrain in a different set of gear. I got profficient in doubles in OW, then took cavern in doubles and so on...

It really made no sense to train in anything else, given the fact that I knew I'd be continuing my training beyond just cavern diving.

Double 72's on a bluefin bc sometimes 1 reg sometimes 2 depending on the tankes I was using. Ikelite 6 volt light with 2 ikelite mini c lights for b/u (I still use one of these). 600 foot reel made by the instructor and a dive dite safety reel. This was more than a few weeks ago.

Randy

Reactions: Jax
Backmounted Doubles and Full Cave Gear. Minus the reels, arrows, and cookies I carried for Cavern and Intro, my configuration did not change from what I used prior to those classes...

I chose said configuration before having the opportunity to start any overhead training due to cave diving being my primary goal and endstate. The configuration made sense, and it meant that I had very little "new" gear to deal with when I did those classes a few months ago.

I took Cavern & Intro the same week. I did it all in a single HP100 w/H-valve. The next day I went out and bought double 104's. Cave diving is the only reason I started diving, so I wanted all cave gear as quick as I could get it. I bought all the cave gear before I did the class, but the doubles did not make it in on time to do the class.

single tank for cavern. the full deal for everything else

I had completed a number of technical diving classes before I took cavern, so I already owned and had experience with the whole enchilada, which I used from the first day in cavern.

Full cave equipment per instructor's preference. Got familiar with same before class. Removes all excuses.

Should'a been more familiar prior to class, though...

Hope I don't end up saying that! :doh:

Hope I don't end up saying that! :doh:

It is seriously something to consider.

When I started my Intro to Tech course, I had no experience with doubles, dry suits, etc. The learning curve was extremely steep, and the experience was downright humiliating. I am extremely glad I had all of that well behind me before I started cave training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom