STOP!!! Breathe - Think - Act - SAFETY!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax

Deplorable American
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are getting into the diving season . . . can we take a break and think about SAFETY?

Four divers bought it this weekend, and a couple of DCS hits. What are YOU doing to maintain safety?

Let's all come up with what we do to prepare for diving!

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

Mask - minutely checked over for cracks, softness, clean it up well, and test the strap.

BC - Inspect top to bottom, left to right.
Are the seams okay? Is all the stitching good? Any rub spots?
Remove the OverPressure Valve (OPV) - clean it, the threads, the round disc, maybe a little silicon for protection on the disk and threads
How about the pull cord? Is it frayed, does it need replacing?
Now look at the power inflator / exhaust - Is it clean? Do the buttons operate smoothly? Does it smell? Watch out for that flat O ring when you disconnect it.
Sniff the inside of the BC - does it smell? Think teaspoon of bleach to a 1/2gallon of water, if it does; rinse and dry thoroughly.
Check out the cummerbund, especially in the back - is the velcro clean and still attaching well? No worn spots?
Check out the buckles - plastic can crack with age.
Are the zippers clean and operational?
Do you have Z-knives attached? clean and lube them, too.
How's the tank strap(s)? Check for wear there, also.

Lastly, fill the BC (orally if you don't have a tank) and leave it filled to check for leaks.

True! Are your regs due service?

How about fins -- check your straps - are they cracked? Still flexible? Are the fins still flexible and not cracked?

Shook off the cobwebs in the pool a few weeks ago. Everything checked out except for a slow leak in the freshly serviced Octo. It was nice to be wet and glad I didn't go on a boat with that Octo.

Plan your dive! Dive your plan! Check your equipment, put it on, and if you have to guess on any functionality of what you have, take the time to re-familiarize yourself with it. Make reaching for your inflator automatic, play with your mask adjustment, run equipment checks with your buddies to see if they can spot little things you did (on purpose) wrong during set-up. Go have fun!

Interesting that folks check the gear after its been stored. I do the opposite and take care of any issues after each trip. When I want to dive my gear is always ready. One exception, my tanks are due for a vis...

This thread is awesome, As most divers have taken some time off due to temps and weather, we all need to recheck our gear and ourselves and ensure we are ready to get our dive on!

Interesting that folks check the gear after its been stored. I do the opposite and take care of any issues after each trip. When I want to dive my gear is always ready. One exception, my tanks are due for a vis...

The thing is that stuff could happen to the gear while it is in a longer term storage (say for those in the northern U.S who do not do ice diving, which means their gear is not in use from October/November until later (I lived in MA and remember quite well how cold the Atlantic could be even in August in a wetsuit).

A few Jax may have missed:

-Check the battery on your DC (If you have one).
-Check your exposure suit for fit and tears

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

This thread is awesome, As most divers have taken some time off due to temps and weather, we all need to recheck our gear and ourselves and ensure we are ready to get our dive on!

I live in FL where I have the chance to dive year round, and this is a GREAT thread for me since I had to shelve diving for about 2 yrs as I got some medical issues settled. I'd rather find out before dropping money on tanks, gas, lodging etc that my gear needs servicing and not on the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom