Seeks "Advanced Open Water" training over spring break

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hawkans

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Seeking AOW training, preferably in San Diego area but open to LA/Ventura county, and even Monterey area.

I'd like training that prepares me to be a thorough, safe diver and reliable buddy when it comes to dives that require more than what I learned in OW. In other words, TRUE proficiency (and accompanying AOW cert card).

I know you need Deep and Nav, plus 3 "specialties" (at least for PADI). Not sure how I feel about compartmentalizing skills into so many different cla$$e$, but if there's no way around being a sucker (even if only partially), then so be it.

This leads to my other question: Do we have to go by this system?

If so, here would be my top picks for specialties: Wreck (hence San Diego preference), Nitrox, Night (Buoyancy possibly vying with Night). I'm interested in other skills (Dry Suit, Altitude, Drift), but not in a hurry for them.

I live near San Francisco, but will be in Pasadena from Apr. 6 to 15th for spring break. It seems the best way to get what I seek is to go through an instructor who has good creds and reviews (and not through Sport Chalet/etc.).

Any leads?
Potential instructors? (make an offer)

Here's some more possibly helpful info:
-Two friends and I may be doing a boat dive on Spectre (Diving Scuba Vacation, Channel Islands, California) off the Channel Islands some time during my spring break (either on Sat 4/7, Fri 4/13, Sat 4/14, or Sun 4/15). They are also interested in getting AOW. So, we'd welcome someone joining us on Spectre for the day and teaching/doing skills/etc. with the 3 of us (it would also be easy $$ for the instructor).

-I'm going to the weeklong Cozumel Invasion 2012 this summer, and will be doing drift diving for the first time.

Thank you in advance for any pertinent feedback!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom