How do you know you're diving 21% Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beaverdivers

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
The number One Rule of diving Nitrox is Test your Mix.

If your diving a 21% mix ( Air ), how do you know it's 21%.

Do you test your mix?

Um, what else would it be, exactly? If you're getting compressed air from a bank, are you asking if people verify they're not getting nitrox instead of "standard" air?

If the tank was blown before it was filled with air or had air in it during the last fill the mix will be or be so close to 21% that it would make no difference. If it had a nitrox mix and then was topped off with air then it should be tested to determine the mix %. I have had tanks that I had topped off air with that had a nitrox mix previously, yes I tested the mix so that I would know the MOD, not that it really made much difference since the tank would have been low enough that the mixs MOD would have been well below anything I would dive.

No, since the LDS does not fill Nitrox.

Also
1. Nitrox costs more than air to produce.
2. Divers will pay more for Nitrox than air.
3. What businessman would give away free Nitrox when they can charge a premium?

Note: If I were diving on a boat where tanks, both air and Nitrox, were delivered I would want to check mine before diving to insure a mistake had not been made, even if I were diving 21%.

Bob
---------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Um, what else would it be, exactly? If you're getting compressed air from a bank, are you asking if people verify they're not getting nitrox instead of "standard" air?
Yes, that is the question: What is it?

Yes, you need to verify that it is not 100%, 99%, 98%...50%...40%...32%...28%.....

Don't assume it is 21%!

You will only know by testing the tank.

The number One Rule of diving Nitrox is Test your Mix.

If your diving a 21% mix ( Air ), how do you know it's 21%.

Do you test your mix?

At first I thought this was a real question and wondered why at 5,000+ dives you would have to ask such a question.

Now I understand it to be another "oh no, what else can we do to make sure we can go diving safely!"

Theoretically, if you are buying air from a source that could accidentally give you enriched air instead of normal air then I suppose you should test the gas in the tank.

I think I need to get into the selling analyzers business.

At first I thought this was a real question and wondered why at 5,000+ dives you would have to ask such a question.

Yes, it is a real question: Do you test your mix?

I do, even if it might be 21%.

The question is for members of the board.
Theoretically, if you are buying air from a source that could accidentally give you enriched air instead of normal air then I suppose you should test the gas in the tank.
Correct! Never assume.
I think I need to get into the selling analyzers business.
Don't bother, you can use the analyzer the provider of the gas has.

Yes...but do you trust the analyzer the gas provider has?
This is mostly tongue in cheek by the way. I don't have a tin foil hat and fortunately for me the gas I use is provided by the equipment I am in charge of.

But I do see your point, and when teaching Nitrox courses I always bring this point up as a reference to "what ifs".

Yes...but do you trust the analyzer the gas provider has?
This is mostly tongue in cheek by the way. I don't have a tin foil hat and fortunately for me the gas I use is provided by the equipment I am in charge of.

But I do see your point, and when teaching Nitrox courses I always bring this point up as a reference to "what ifs".

Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom