Help with getting unusual odor out of a wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeerCreekers

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok. I bought a "new with tags still on it" Henderson H2 3MM from the SB classifies and guess what? Not so new. Not even close to new.
The problem? It #%^}*# reeks of some type of cigarette smell. Not a faint smell but overwhelming can't even have it in the house smell. Like, I have no idea how u can get that much smoke in a wetsuit???? I put it in a cold water bath with mouthwash in the backyard for a couple hours and rung it out....still bad. So now I have it in hot water in my sink with more mouthwash hoping it will help....but the thing stinks up the kitchen....even in the water.
ANY out of the box ideas???

When your mask is on your face, covering your nose- this is a little known fact- but you really can't smell anything at all.

Go diving. Otherwise, leave it in the garage.

You might try this: Home Page of Sink the Stink

If one of your local LDS's is a Trident dealer (Sport Chalet might be) they should be able to get it.

I use Sink the Stink for my wetsuit and stuff. Pretty good stuff. There is a few in the Ventura area that carry Trident products. If they don't have it i n stock, should be pretty easy for them to order it for you (Trident is based out of CA).

Sounds like cigar smoke. You put a wet suit in hot water? :eek: I'd think vinegar would work well, but see the link above.

Don-warm water. Vinegar. That might help. And I will get some Sink the Stink. It's for my boy, so the mom in me just can't put him in a suit like that. I have 5 days until our Cozumel trip....I'll figure out a way.
Thanks everyone!

Don-warm water. Vinegar. That might help. And I will get some Sink the Stink. It's for my boy, so the mom in me just can't put him in a suit like that. I have 5 days until our Cozumel trip....I'll figure out a way.
Thanks everyone!
Ok, you had said hot. The link above gave other approaches and good results.

Ok, I guess I have my work cut out for me. I just need to get it clean enough that I can pack it for our upcoming trip. I figure 2 days in the cenotes and 6 days diving Cozumel can get rid of any lingering odor? Who knew neoprene sucks up cigarette/cigar smell like that?
Even tho I was told it was "brand new, tags still on it" if I can clean it it it's still a good find for my 16 year old. He's got a week in Cozumel and a week diving wrecks in North Carolina coming up. Henderson H2's are a great suit......and I have a mission!!!
Thanks all
Ps-thanks for the link Buddasummer.

I had the same problen with a wing that I bought, reeked of cigarette smoke. I tried several thing including mouth wash, did not help.
Got a product called AtmosKlear at the local hardware store. Worked great. Sprayed it on the wing cover, worked it in and let it soak for a while then rinsed real well. Sprayed it on the out side of the wing worked it around, poured some inside, that reeked also, shook it around to get it all over inside and let it soak for a while. Afterward I rinsed the out side and inside real well, smell was gone. It really worked well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom