Help Make the Leatherback Cali's Marine Reptile

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you Don! Have signed the petition..

FYI;
There is (was?) a huge, as I recall 1200 pound leather back turtle stuffed and mouted in the Cabrillio museum in San Pedro. It was captured around the time of the other big national depression in the 1930s and the WPA mounted it. A dear friend of mine Harry Vetter's father was on the WPA crew that mounted it.

And there is a diving connection..Harry Vetter was a pioneer LA Co UW instructor and one of the instructors for the first NAUI course in Houston in August 1960.

Harry received NAUI Instructor # 4. At the 50th reunion several years ago it was discovered Harry with NAUI Instructor number 4 was the oldest living lowest number NAUI Instructor in the world.

It was also determined that I with number NAUI Instructor # 27 was one of the oldest in the world and the oldest NAUI instrctor in California

GOSH OH GEE....

SDM

Done.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• These questions were posed on another forum, I thought I'd post them here in case anybody was wondering the same?

Tell us a little about them Don.

I've got hundreds of hours under water in CA, never seen one.

Let's start with their range?

What is it about the Leatherback that makes it uniquely identify itself with CA? Where is the "connection"

Remember, in CA the whole deal is gold. Golden Trout, Poppy (goldish), Garabaldi (same as poppy). What is the "hook" of the Leatherback?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Answers-

Here's a simple link:http://seaturtles.org/downloads/Leat...tCoast_FAQ.pdf

Your not likely to sea one as they travel and forage WAY off shore. They nest Primarily in Costa Rica (as well as Mexico). They spend their lives off shore and return only to nest. Their range in the Eastern Pacific is as far North as Washington State (about 1,300 miles round trip). They are ENDANGERED as well as majestic and I believe populations are down to about only 200? California has passed protection laws in the 90's (commercial fishing catch's)

The Cali Connection (and current legislation) is to bring awareness to their plight. As a Cali State critter it will be taught about in schools, Etc. You can't fall in love with something and want to protect it if your not exposed to it :love:. Thanks for the Q's mweitz, HTH.

Google at will.

Be Safe Out There!

PS: They're as rare as Gold...​

it didn't show the number, but I signed! The state Marine Reptile...the leatherback!! it's one bad ass mission!

Back
Top Bottom