Want BP/W. Would like advice/feedback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nfarrar

Contributor
Reaction score
I currently have a Scubapro Knighthawk. Its time for a BP/W. I first looked at the Dive Rite Transpac. Then decided on a full plate. Now I am looking at the Transplate. I have also looked at the Hollis Elite 2 and Solo. I know a lot of people end it a up with a basic harness. I "think" I want the extra padding and like the extra D rings. What are the pluses and minuses of the Dive Rite and Hollis rigs? For now I will be diving singles. I want to try out doubles and side mounts later this year. Most of my diving is split between the Cayman Islands and Louisiana/Arkansas area lakes. So some warm water and some wet suit. Im 6'3" and 270+. With a steel plate what size wing do I need for singles? Can I use just one or do I need one for warm water and one for cold? I know I will need another with doubles. Please get me started on the right path.

Thanks Mon,
Nick

You don't want the extra padding. Start with the cheap harness, and go for the expensive one if you find yourself dissatisfied. You don't need the extra D-rings, either.

Do some searching and you'll find hundreds of threads discussing BP/W set ups, and especially the webbing harness vs the "deluxe" harnesses, and what size wing to get. A few quick comments: 1) Why do you want the extra D rings? 2) You probably won't need or like the padding on the harness, and at 270+ lbs, you definitely don't need the extra buoyancy. 3) Wing size is dependent on two things; the amount of buoyancy loss in your wetsuit plus the weight of the gas, and the amount of lift you need to float the rig without you in it. Most experienced divers would agree that diving with as small a wing as practical is much more enjoyable than using a wing that's far bigger than you need.

I currently have a Scubapro Knighthawk. Its time for a BP/W. I first looked at the Dive Rite Transpac. Then decided on a full plate. Now I am looking at the Transplate. I have also looked at the Hollis Elite 2 and Solo. I know a lot of people end it a up with a basic harness. I "think" I want the extra padding and like the extra D rings. What are the pluses and minuses of the Dive Rite and Hollis rigs? For now I will be diving singles. I want to try out doubles and side mounts later this year. Most of my diving is split between the Cayman Islands and Louisiana/Arkansas area lakes. So some warm water and some wet suit. Im 6'3" and 270+. With a steel plate what size wing do I need for singles? Can I use just one or do I need one for warm water and one for cold? I know I will need another with doubles. Please get me started on the right path.

Thanks Mon,
Nick

Often divers assume that they need a lightweight warm water and Stainless Steel plate for cold water. In reality a SS plate usually works fine for both, but...... the wing that is appropriate for cold water is much larger than necessary for warm water.

In short same plate, different wings, sometimes.

Required wing capacity is a largely a function of the buoyancy of the exposure suit, cold water = thicker suits.

Plate material is a function of required ballast. Cold water = thick suits and often negative steel tanks. Warm water is thin suits and buoyant al 80's

Tobin

my system:
halcyon Infinity Steel plate with the back pad, and soulder pads. i have both a 40lb singles wing and and eclispe doubles wing. I do have the cinch system which makes switches easier, although i primarly dive doubles. for me it is a single system which solves all my needs.
I do travel with a full doubles kit ~48lbs packed with drysuit as well. I also only travel with what i actually need for the dive plans. can light 2 backups, analyzer, etc. is included in that weight.

you can buy the normal infinity system and add the doubles wing if needed. the SS plate works for travel, a 3mm, a drysuit, singles and doubles. I loaned my AL backplate out actually since unless i'm carrying 104's or hp130's i don't need it.

I personally like the padding but in reality you dont need it. they system is just as comfortable without it. there maybe a small advantage when walking longer distances in doubles.
love it.

I personally would not buy the AL plate again unless you actually need it, the steel plate works for almost all of my dive configurations and profiles.

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 AM ----------

oh forgot to say with the infinity system you get the cinch adjustmet, & 2 weight pockets. it becomes a mix and match according to what you need to do. i would add 2 cam band strap weight puches for singles diving and move the weight to the tank and only use the belt ouches if really needed (i do not need them for anything other than DM classes, and then the only reason there is so i can hand them off to a student)

you don't want the extra padding. Start with the cheap harness, and go for the expensive one if you find yourself dissatisfied. You don't need the extra d-rings, either.

+1

k.i.s.s.

I would argue a lightweight plate, Aluminum or Kydex, is a better alternative to stainless steel if one was to have only one plate and also works for both cold water and warm water. In fact, many NorCal divers I know have moved to an aluminum plate, even with thick, thinsulate undergarments, due to the fact that it allows them more flexibility to adjust the location of weight on their rig.

And for warm water diving, having 3-4lbs of extra capacity in the suitcase is a big deal, and traveling around Asia, where 25lbs is a common limit for baggage, often a necessity. And it's easy to put a 3-4 lb weight on the harness, can light side, or up on a camband, depending on where you need it.

Often divers assume that they need a lightweight warm water and Stainless Steel plate for cold water. In reality a SS plate usually works fine for both

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom