Bali Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I'm coming to Bali for three weeks soon and whilst in the Philippines an instructor was telling me about a world heritage site that was a short flight from Bali that had some of the world best diving.

It sounded to me like he said 'Florence' but I can't find anything on it or even flights going to anywhere sounding remotely similar. Can you help? any idea where he meant?

I'm guessing he was saying "Flores", one of the islands upon which you land to dive Komodo National Park, a World Heritage site. This is diving not to be missed, but I note your dive count. Komodo harbors some sites that can be considered "adrenaline diving" when the current is running, and divers are generally encouraged to get a bit more experience before they dive it.

I second guess that Flores was the place the instructor meant. But as has been mentioned already, some of the dive sites are for the more "extreme" diver amongst us!

Thanks guys, I've looked at Flores and also noted the experience suggested for the dives, so I think it's best to give it a miss this time around. Although my first dives where very challenging current-wise, even for the experienced divers with me, I'd like to take my next 20/30 a bit steadier and actually master what I'm doing.

Any other tips for Bali would be appreciated. I'm told the Gili islands are good for the traveller in me but not so much the diver?

Tulamben on the north shore of Bali is the perfect beginners site. I learned to dive there and have probably logged 50 dives in the area since :). It's beautiful,there is plenty to see and current is not very common. It's a quiet town with not much going on aside from the diving, so bring a good book and plenty of money as there are no ATM's either :). Enjoy!

Padangbai is a good place to base for a while with many operators taking divers to sites all over the East side of the island. Beginning to more advanced.

Last decompression day before flying is well spent in Ubud. Great massages from Wayan at Ristu Spa just down the alley from Nomads Restaurant & great shopping :)

If you are looking for more dive options then consider Amen or diving Magellan from Lovina.

Have fun!

Reactions: Poi
If you are looking for more dive options then consider Amen or diving Magellan from Lovina.

... or maybe Amed and Menjangan? :wink:

---------- Post added at 05:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 AM ----------

For the beginner diver, Tulamben would be tops on the list ... heck, if I went to Bali now, Tulamben would be tops on my list. You get three different dive sites off the same beach, with a ton of life to enjoy on all of 'em.

Menjangan Island should also be up there ... a short boat ride out from Bali, and a great wall diving experience. Again, lots of life to see and experience.

If you want to experience a variety of what Bali has to offer, I can recommend Aquamarine Diving ... they specialize in Bali diving tours. Their website describes the various dive sites around the island, and they can help you put together a great itinerary that's suitable to your experience level, and provide you with a dive guide, van and driver for a pretty reasonable price. I've used them to put together a customized dive package every time I've gone to Indonesia, and they've been great.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... or maybe Amed and Menjangan? :wink:

---------- Post added at 05:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 AM ----------

LOL, Thanks!

I'm diving Mexico at the moment - Bali was 6 months ago. It's hard to keep up with all these awesome dive sites :)

Sunrise and night dives on the Tulamben wreck are not to be missed! Have fun Poi!

Hi,

I just got from Bali last week - a great place to do some diving is the Gili Islands, dives are cheap at $30USD including equipment and are very good value, some of the best diving I have done and I have dived many sites throughout the world!

Great for a beginner as well as currents are not strong, it would be worth spending two or three days out there as it is a 1.5 hour speed boat transfer from Bali, there is also a ferry that operates much cheaper although travel time is 4-5 hours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom