Cold water Side Mount divers: where are you putting argon bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shoredivr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Playing around with an argon bottle, right now trying butt mounting it. I need it for a course I'm taking. I have a 13cu ft bottle.

Rig is a Nomad with the short butt plate which I like better than the long butt plate.

Right now I'm mounting my cannister light battery back there also.

I tried that at first and didn't like it. The argon bottle, also a 13, was too bulky there. I ended up rigging it similar to a top mounted stage but with static cord instead. Bungee would probably work just as well. I used a couple of worm gear clamps to secure the line to the cylinder and clipped it upside down with the valve side clip clipped to the rail and the bottom side clip clipped to the chest d-ring. Sits nicely out of the way.

Thanks Divaholic.
Ok, and now I'm adding two stages to the (tri)mix :) so one of those stages should just float on top of the argon bottle?

What kind of stages?

ALu 80 and Alu 40, both Catalinas

Shoredivr

Take a look a this equipment video blog. Andrew briefly discusses a little about how we mount the argon bottle in side-mount. UTD Video Blog: New Alpha/Delta Trim Device - For Back-Mount/Side-Mount Diivng - Unified Team Diving. Also you can look at UTD Equipment website for a better picture of the accessory that attaches to the argon bottle. UTD Equipment - Z-Side-Mount System - +1 206 321-0870 or sales@utdequipment.com . Essentially what we did is a while back in Back-mount diving we would mount a 6cft bottle on our left side behind the left side d-ring. We would mount this using a strap on the backplate and a bungee to hold the tank neck. With side-mount we obviously don't have a backplate but rather a z-harness so we had to come up with a little mount for the argon bottle that attaches to the harness. This made it universal and can be used for both Side-mount and Back-mount diving, keeping the argon in a consistent place.

Anyways, I hope that helps

Costa
UTD Customer Service

I think the 13 cu. bottle is too big for an inflation bottle. I can't imagine what you'd need all that for. I sewed quicklinks on my oc & ccr sidemount rigs on the jacket part right where it meets the wing on both sides. I can mount a can light on one side, and a 6 cu. inflation bottle on the other, and snap them on and off easily. I use air rather than argon as I could never tell the difference myself.

ALu 80 and Alu 40, both Catalinas

You should be able to mount the inflation bottle on the same side as the 40 without much interference.

Bill, it depends on the length of the dive. I've emptied a 13 before.

I tried that at first and didn't like it. The argon bottle, also a 13, was too bulky there. I ended up rigging it similar to a top mounted stage but with static cord instead. Bungee would probably work just as well. I used a couple of worm gear clamps to secure the line to the cylinder and clipped it upside down with the valve side clip clipped to the rail and the bottom side clip clipped to the chest d-ring. Sits nicely out of the way.

(I don't need argon but I do need mounting ideas, so.)

Are there pics of what you are talking about somewhere? I am a picture learner, and I always have trouble visualizing what things are without a picture.

No pictures. I don't dive with an inflation cylinder very often and just haven't gotten a chance to get any. I do have plans to dive colder water in the next couple months though and if I think about it I'll try to get some photos.

Back
Top Bottom