Atomic Cobalt or Mares Icon HD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Catalina H2o

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking at computers and have it down to two. The Atomic Cobalt or Mares Icon HD (transmitter).
I'm a novice diver and this will be my first computer. Has anyone used either of these two? Pros/Cons !!!!
I'm leaning more towards the Mares Icon HD for the streamline, but I have also heard some good things about Atomic Cobalt.

Thanks

Catalina H2o

I have seen the Atomic and it's a nice computer if you like consoles. I prefer a wrist mount myself. Never saw the mares. Is there some reason you are planning on spending that much money on a recreational computer with limited capabilities? I ask because the shop I started with tried to push me towards an $800.00 computer when I found out a $300.00 one would do the same stuff. Seven years later I am still using that same comp and only now for tech am I upgrading to a trimix capable computer that does not cost as much as the ones you are looking at but will do far more. Personally I'm glad I did not go for the more expensive model as it left me more cash for other gear and diving and now I'm not nearly as upset that I need to upgrade a $300.00 comp as I would be an $800.00 one. What types of dives are you doing to require a high end computer? Dive Right In scuba has 2 gas nitrox computers that will do the same job for less cash and be suitable for your diving even if you went tech at some point.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

question: what is your main use of the computer, features you are after (seems to be the display, and Air (gas) integration given the units)

they are very different form factors for air integrated computers. Both are nice. Both can do the job, both are realitively expensive. Both offer very nice displays.

I personally don't like consoles (computers or just a multi gauge setup) but that is my personal preference.

have you thought about using an SPG for gas tracking and planning, and the Icon (no transmitter) or another oled wrist mounted computer?

I use a scubapro meridian and am buying a Liquivision Zen bottom timer b/c i really like the oled display.

I would try anything out before you bought it and make sure it meets your needs fully before spending the money on them.

There is another thread a few pages back that was around 6 pages long on the same question. Myself I have owned both computers (the mares icon hd, and then upgraded it to a Mares Icon HD Net ready with air integration). I thought the it was a good computer and the wireless signal worked great (IMO better than my old Luna as it would lose signal a couple times per dive). What I didn't like about the Mares Icon HD was the battery life, while I'm sure it's fine for most people I just didn't care that you'd have to charge it after every day of diving. Along with that if you charge it to 100% and let it sit for a week or two it will be dead as a door nail, it doesn't shut off or go into a hibernate where it basically quits using battery life. My last grip about it was the connection that you use to hook it up to the charger or your computer. Seems after a few dives it gets picky about it's connection and you have to mess with it to get it to charge, and I've installed the Mares Dive Organizerr about 15 times total (for other people and on my own computers) sometimes the drivers would work and it'd hitch up just fine and then sometimes it's a never ending fight to get it to work on your home pc to pull your dive information off. Thats all of my negatives on the Icon, past this it was a great computer.

That being said I've moved to an Atomic Cobalt and picked up one for my wife too....I can't comment on them because I just got them in a few weeks ago and haven't gone diving yet with one.

I used my Cobalt for about 16 dives in Bonaire last Dec. My thoughts:

1.) Yeah, it's a console. But I get air-integrated without having to fool with a transmitter, and the built-in battery is rechargeable without being removed, so I don't have to open it up. And it lasts a good while.

2.) The interface is so easy to use it makes you want to slap your last dive computer's manufacturer. It can be used without messing with the manual for the most part (though I had to look up getting it to work with the computer for downloading dives). Adjusting to local time zone, nitrox mix, etc... could bring tears to the eyes after working with regular dive computers (compare adjusting settings in an iPhone vs. a digital wrist watch to get some idea). This is a huge benefit.

3.) I could've bought an Oceanic ProPlus 2.1 and got most of the same 'functionality' in terms of what the computer would do (e.g.: monitor depth, air remaining & theoretical tissue nitrogen loading, log dives for download later, etc...), but no way would it have been equivalent.

Are you technically minded? Does grappling with manuals of questionable writing quality on complex, dry technical writing bother you? If you leave how to do a few things with it, will you remember how to operate it after months of inactivity? Would you pay significantly more for something 'slick & easy.'

Usability is a feature.

Richard.

We are about to release the online class for the Icon HD and we will also add the Icon HD 's simulator to our iDive Computer and divePAL Apps :wink:

divenav_iconhd_onlineclass.jpg

divenav_iconhd_apps.jpg

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I tried the Mares HD icon shmicon for a few weeks before returning it, and I'd advise staying away from it. If you go to the Mares forum there are several serious problems with it. I prefer wrist mount but of the two I'd go with the Cobalt. If you want AI in a wrist mount I think the current best one is the Galileo Sol/Luna.

Agree with Hatul as above.

But might I offer another suggestion, have a look at the Suunto Zoop or Vyper, simple, cheap, reliable, long battery life, DeepSeaSupply make a nice wrist mount for them, been around for ages, good resale value and they have everything most OW rec divers will ever need.

I got a Cobalt last year when it was first released. Have used it locally as well as a trip to Belize. Great computer for the reasons drrich2 stated above.

The only drawback was that when I first brought it home my wife took one look at it and the next day I was back in the dive shop buying one for her.

I tried the Mares HD icon shmicon for a few weeks before returning it, and I'd advise staying away from it. If you go to the Mares forum there are several serious problems with it. I prefer wrist mount but of the two I'd go with the Cobalt. If you want AI in a wrist mount I think the current best one is the Galileo Sol/Luna.

I agree with going to a Galileo Sol/Luna over a Icon HD. I forgot to mention that in my messy comments. (and that comes from a mares guy too!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom