Super Long Shallow Water Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ermaclob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
who here does long dives in shallow water (NO Deco) 3 hours and up? i was looking at the air dive tables and was wondering "30 feet... 205 minutes of no deco bottom time.... me want to try !" and then i got curious and looked up the no deco for EANx36 and that like 405 minutes at 40 feet :shocked2:. 6hours and 45 minutes... woooooow

any one with good breathing ever strap on 2 or 3 tanks and gone really really long dives? it doesn't seem like that hard to pass that air limit, an 80 cuft at 30 feet is like 1h 45m average with doubles 3h 30m . with 120 doubles i could theoretically go for about 315 minutes. Not that i have this set up, just speculating.

any safety issues with doing this? dehydration and body temp. issues maybe?

Dehydration and hypothermia are issues to contend with on any long dive. Around the 3hr mark is also where you want to start thinking about some kind of food.

On longer dives, I'll take a camelbak and stash some applesauce packets to eat on deco (helps pass the time, too).

Although it is possible to do such a dive, as you note, there are a of of things that are possible in life that I have no interest in doing. I would do a dive of that length if I were involved ins some kind of a cave exploration or something else that would keep my interest, but 6 hours in a quarry would destroy whatever fragments are left of my mind.

I'll echo the others. I'd do it if there was a purpose other than just staying down. What am I looking at all this time?

Anybody know of a place where we can do a 6 hour drift dive at 30 feet? Good reef, not chewed up...

:)

id be able to stay occupied one a beach dive or reef as long as i can screw around with my camera but.. IDK about a quarry.. 2 hour at the one i go to and... im pretty much done going there for a few mouths

who here does long dives in shallow water (NO Deco) 3 hours and up? i was looking at the air dive tables and was wondering "30 feet... 205 minutes of no deco bottom time.... me want to try !" and then i got curious and looked up the no deco for EANx36 and that like 405 minutes at 40 feet :shocked2:. 6hours and 45 minutes... woooooow

any one with good breathing ever strap on 2 or 3 tanks and gone really really long dives? it doesn't seem like that hard to pass that air limit, an 80 cuft at 30 feet is like 1h 45m average with doubles 3h 30m . with 120 doubles i could theoretically go for about 315 minutes. Not that i have this set up, just speculating.

any safety issues with doing this? dehydration and body temp. issues maybe?
I have one thing to say: Photography at BHB.

If I could possibly get that much time (I'm still a relative air hog) that would be my goal and destination.

EDIT: Yes, BHB= Blue Heron Bridge... amazing scenery there (critters... the flora not so much) and you could spend months diving and not see everything.

Last edited:
Although it is possible to do such a dive, as you note, there are a of of things that are possible in life that I have no interest in doing. I would do a dive of that length if I were involved ins some kind of a cave exploration or something else that would keep my interest, but 6 hours in a quarry would destroy whatever fragments are left of my mind.

:rofl3: me too...

I do long shallow dives occasionally - there's some amazing shore-based muck dives here in the Philippines...perfect for solo with camera. However, 3 hours is pushing it, purely from a personal comfort factor. When they're shallow and shore-based, it's nice to get out occasionally, wash the salt out of your mouth, re-hydrate, grab a quick snack... and then head back in.

The most ive been able to get out of a proper shallow dive was an hour and a half at 8 meters on a 12 litre / 200 bar cylinder :D I do have one dive in my logbook that is 3 hours but that was mucking about in a few meters of water in a river clearing scrap metal. After a few hours of clinging on for dear life in a 7 knot current in zero vis I had had enough!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom