LDS Opinions for AOW - Ottawa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcarter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I want to take my AOW (with my son) this summer, and I am debating between Sharky's and Diver's Wearhouse. I have not previously taken any local training, so I would like to get some feedback on experiences.

I have already split my gear business between the two shops, for reasons that don't matter, but I do need to decide where to spend my training $$.

Any advice is welcome, but I would appreciate it if people could keep it clean and objective - my intention is not to provide an opening for someone with an axe to grind.

Thanks in advance!

With plenty of views but no responses, I am guessing that folks may not want to put this out in the public forum. I both understand and appreciate that.

But I still need help / info so I can make an informed decision. :(

I would REALLY appreciate any feedback. Any PM messages will be held in the strictest confidence.

TIA.

Being unfamiliar with Diver's Wearhouse training system and staff I will recommend Sharky's where I know many teaching staff members (Instructors and DMs) from diving and social perspectives. They formed the nucleus of my Blackbeard diving group last year as well as my Bonaire's group of this past February. FYI, I am not associated with their school, but do social outings/diving trips with them during diving season (Weekly wednesday evening diving trip as well as weekend outings (more staff centered)).

I took my OW course last year with the same two instructors that are teaching the AOW course this year at Sharkey's. I found them to be really great instructors for the OW course. I haven't done my AOW yet, but plan on doing it next year. I also dive with the Wednesday night dive squads during the summer months, and really like the sense of community with Sharkey's. I don't tend to shop a lot at sharkey's though.

I just got home from doing my EAN at Sharky's.

After the feedback I have received on a number of fronts and my direct exposure to one of the instructors tonight, I have a good feeling about the training.

I have pretty much decided on Sharky's.

(Note: for the sake of fairness, I do feel the need to state for the record that I have not heard anything negative about DW)

Signed up at Sharky's for June :)

I certified through Sharky's last year. Ginette and Michael were my instructors, and they were fantastic. I only found out about Divers Wearhouse after I had already registered with Sharky's. I don't know about their courses, but the staff is pretty awesome there too. I've purchased gear from both shops and recommend them both.

Michael and Ginette will be my instructors as well.

Back
Top Bottom