When Diving for lobster do you carry your gear or attach to your BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

troyce1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was trying to google to find pics or info on how/if people attach their net and/or tickle stick to the back of their tank or BCD somehow.
I would like to take my lobster gear on some leisure dives and would prefer not to carry it by hand.

Anyone care to share?

hand carry it.... The last thing you want is a net clipped to your tank behind you.... a major entanglement hazard. It may be nice to rig a way for the net and tickle stick to nest or clip together so they are easier to hold.

I carry my tools for hunting on an equipment line attached to tank valve, slung over left shoulder.
It can be a pain in the butt around some of the wrecks I hunt. (it can and does get snagged sometimes) Be aware of that and.....
Works for me!
See you topside! John

I have often toyed with the idea of making a scuba tank diameter PVC pipe storage container, and clipping it off to the left side like a stage bottle....it could have a removable cap for each end, and on the end you would want to put lobster in, you would want the one way system used in the lobster hotel dive bags where you push them through--and they can not get back out.

The net needs to be re-invented--as collapsible. Nets and tickle stick are great lobster catching combos, but the typical round net has enormous drag during your swimming. If you could make one collapsible, and then just open it up when you want to tickle a lobster out of a hole, that would be slick! When not using, it would be streamlined, with the net all crushed tight and out of the current. It could be bungeed to the "Pvc stage bottle".

So far, my normal plan has been to drag a brownies bell bottomed bag ( because it can be inflated and sent up or just made neutral) and to use a snare, because I hate the drag of a net.... I do prefer the net, if it had no drag. I can tuck the Brownies bag behind my back out of drag, in the mc storage pouch behind the backplate--up until I get the first lobster..then, I hand carry it as DD does.

Stand by! Wife is still sleeping, she knows where our camera is located!
See you topside! John

Last edited:
In florida - I carry the tickle stick and net. Truthfully - you never know when you are going to see a lobster or 10 - so Im basically ready at all times. Those nets snag on everything so I would imagine its a PITA to mount it everywhere. I did try to clip it off to my waist D ring -but didnt like it.

In NJ- the only gear is my HANDS......and they are attached. My catch bag is hooked up to a D ring - and it doesnt snag on anything. Thats why I switched to the UK bag last year - less snags based on the material.

In florida - I carry the tickle stick and net. Truthfully - you never know when you are going to see a lobster or 10 - so Im basically ready at all times. Those nets snag on everything so I would imagine its a PITA to mount it everywhere. I did try to clip it off to my waist D ring -but didnt like it.

In NJ- the only gear is my HANDS......and they are attached. My catch bag is hooked up to a D ring - and it doesnt snag on anything. Thats why I switched to the UK bag last year - less snags based on the material.

Yes, we are not allowed to use anything but our hands in the Northeast, it's a different game but certain things are the same. My favorite bags were the Poseidon ones that rolled up and could be stashed in a drysuit pocket, but the ones I had have all disintegrated. I just use a regular old mesh bag and fold it up inside so it's small. Even so, it's always going to catch on the wreck, mono, nets, etc. so keep it where you can see it. Don't bother with the "bug-o-matic" ones with the handles, they catch mono like crazy. Make sure you have a couple of different cutting tools in different spots to deal with entanglements. Heading back to the anchor line, you'll be struggling to keep it from snagging and working harder so follow your gas rules and turn the dive a bit early, it's going to take longer than you think. Now go forth and slay!

.....The net needs to be re-invented--as collapsible....

Hey my friend Dan,,,I've got the solution for you! I've used this net several times on lobster dives and once you get the hang of it, it's really fast and quick. The video below really shows it well.

Handy Pak Net Co. EZ Folding Fishing Net - How To Fold the dang thing. - YouTube

$26.95 !! http://handypaknetco.com/shop-onlin...ypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=32&category_id=6

Insta_Net___Viny_4e79531298024.png

Hey my friend Dan,,,I've got the solution for you! I've used this net several times on lobster dives and once you get the hang of it, it's really fast and quick. The video below really shows it well.

Handy Pak Net Co. EZ Folding Fishing Net - How To Fold the dang thing. - YouTube

$26.95 !! http://handypaknetco.com/shop-onlin...ypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=32&category_id=6

View attachment 120095

This is awesome!!! Too bad lobster season just ended!!!!
I could fit that in a thigh pocket, and use a PVC stage bottle ( Lobster catch bag: tank sized PVC, with end cap and lobster hotel one way entrance,,,clipped to the left side harness d-rings stage bottle style.) for the catch bag, with the tickle stick bungeed to it or clipped. Totally slick before and after use!!!

Unlike all normal catch bags, this would be low drag....and the net inside thigh pocket a massive improvement for gliding through the water --without the hydrodynamic braking action of a lobster net!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom