What do you think of dive clubs?

Do Dive clubs actually exist for diving?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Newbie100

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Not really newbie like user name applies, I am AOW certified and about to get nitrox certified. I'm looking for dive buddy(s) nothing else. I have been to several clubs dive sites which are not up to date and they don't have much on their calendars. Clubs seem to be more for social aspect as opposed to diving. What do you think?

I've posted a thread in the Great Lakes Forum if anyone wants to go diving.

Thanks David:D

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some very active dive clubs that do dive several times monthly and include social activity such as BBQs. There are some that just meet socially to talk about diving (more talk than diving). Folks who have diving in common tend to have other things in common that leads to socializing. So I'd say keep looking around for a group that meets your needs and if you don't find one, then start one.

There are a several active clubs on SB like Roddenberry Dive Team & Powers Scuba. And then there are less formal dive gatherings like the Blue Heron Bridge Trolls.

The Great Lakes region has some great clubs. Especially in Ohio. Some are over 50 years old. Most are not associated with or run by shops. Shop run clubs in my experience are less active and more cliqueish (sp?) than those that are not. Shop run clubs tend to push what the shop sells and I have seen some give members the stink eye when they show up with gear they do not carry. Trips tend to be more about selling the participants a course in a new location than just diving. Ohio clubs are not like that and are why I am a professional member of the Ohio Council of Skin and Scuba Diving and do more with them than ones in my own area. Up near Cleveland and Toledo are some that are very active in the Great Lakes region and do a lot of local diving.

My main dive club is with the university. It's very active, and most of the members are young.

I also dive out of a couple of local dive stores. There's no official club, but there are Facebook pages for the specific LDSs where you can post when you want to dive, and people will reply. Plenty of weekly dives there too.

If you are looking for buddies, ask your local dive shop about any active clubs and attend one of their meetings. Get numbers and meet people. Go diving. AND/OR you can go to the dive shop and ask if anyone wants to go diving. Just hang out there for a day asking for numbers and meeting new people.

At first, it'll be slow finding buddies, but then you'll find that you have more buddies than you have time to dive, once people start to know you and get more free time.

I am somewhat blessed to have access to several dive clubs and diving buddies I have either met locally, through acquaintances or on vacation and with whom my GF and I have become very good friends with. Not only will we dive often together but will also socialize as well.

Jim is right when he mentiones that large clubs tend to be cliqueish. I am the first to admit that I have my preferred diving buddies and those will also be the folks I will go vacationing with for diving purposes (my last trip to Bonaire and my outing on Blackbeard last year are prime example). Having said that I met two new divers that joined our group in Bonaire and without any hesitation, me and another guy split the couple (we each took one), did the orientation `weight check dive and did our utmost to teach them some tricks of the trade and then not only they resumed diving together but we had them lead a couple of dives before we left to ensure they gain confidence (they were staying for the following week).

Locallly, I have no problem doing that as well. If I go on club dive, I do expect that if an inexperienced diver is looking for a buddy to be asked to team up with the individual or I will even volunteer to do so, and I don't have a problem as long as my GF is comfortable diving with whoever she may be paired with ...No compromise on this one. Even when my diving friends and I get together, we always ensure that newcomers to the group are well looked after and often enough I have end up diving with newly qualified folks.

Don't give up. Also remember that this time of the year also represents a lull in the diving season for the majority of divers as the late spring to late fall/early winter represent the busiest time unless you happen to live in areas enabling you to dive all year long. Eventually the gophers will come out of their hole...lol

Ive found with the club im in there's a core of us who go diving regularly then there are others who only dive once or twice a year on big trips. I dont think there is anything wrong with this particualy everyone has their own schedules and commitments.

Around here, it seems to be "dead" or "non-existent" anymore. 10 years ago they were somewhat active with dives to some interesting places. The "old-timers" are gone, and it seems to be no more. It now seems to be the only thing going on is through a LDS. Shame because they are charging the crap out of everyone to participate in what used to be "fun" because you pay for their DM....... I'm so frustrated.....

I will say this: If it takes being on FB - I'M OUT!!!!!!

I have been to several clubs dive sites which are not up to date and they don't have much on their calendars.

I'd encourage you to investigate these clubs anyway, David. There are plenty of for-profit businesses with neglected web sites, let alone informal groups like clubs. They may just lack someone with the energy and skills to maintain the site, yet have an active club. Then again, maybe not. :D No way to know but to look further. Good luck.

Clubs can offer less expensive ways to go on trips- locally or out of the country.

Some have been co-opted by individuals or LDS that view them as a way to send "trip leaders" on paid-for trips, or to encourage sales at their shops.

Leading a trip can involve a lot of work, but to any of the more well-travelled locales, it's not really worth paying someone to do this.

A Club might offer a trip to a place where air connections, ground transfers and ultimately dive services can be a logistical nightmare. If you want to dive some of the true "holy grails", a group trip might well be your best alternative.

The social aspects of a club... is that a downside? A great way to meet people in hot, wet, rubber suits.

As to the poll?

Of course clubs provide a social aspect- it's what people do in the 99.999% of their life when they are not underwater.

Young People? The age of divers has increased. It is no longer the sport of the "working-man". No construction pick-up trucks, more SUVs and import sedans in the parking lot. (and their kids are gone)

Only dive clubs this far inland are sponsored by LDS and the trips are way over-priced. :no: Don't thinks so.

I wish I lived in a diving area where locals could actually meet and plan their own dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom