Extra Skills Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geogator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Here's a question for the group:

When I took my AOW training (via PADI), 2 of my 5 specialties were boat diver & drift diver. However, in the PADI curriculum for both of these specialties there apparently is not instruction included in the proper deployment of a SMB, particularly at depth & using a spool. Since this is a valuable skill to know when diving in the ocean (from a boat or drift diving), I'm curious to know if any instructors teach this as part of their training, or how many divers have been taught this skill in conjunction with either of these specialties?

Although there are numerous youtube videos out there which show how to/not to do this skill (some are quite entertaining:wink:), it does take some instruction & practice to be able to do this without either damaging/destroying your equipment or possibly injuring either another diver or yourself. As such, I'm going to be getting some formal hands-on instruction in this skill very soon with an instructor, but am curious as to how/when the folks that can do this skill were taught. It would also be interesting (or scary, actually) to know what percentage of people who dive in the ocean (say from a charter) & carry a SMB/spool (which is required by many boats), actually know how to use it, correctly, if they had to.

It is an option in my OW class for those who want to do an extra dive on day two and if I know this in advance we will practice it in the pool first first during the regular training. It is a mandatory skill in my AOW class. But then I'm not a PADI instructor. I also do not have a "boat diver" dive in AOW. It is covered again in the OW class. Boat diver is one of those things I nixed when doing my own initial training as I do not see where it really adds value to the cert. If I'm already diving off of a boat let me do a dive that will actually add to my skills. All the dives are then "boat dives". Around here we have instructors doing "altitude dives" for AOW. Again dumb because all the dives are at altitude if they use the one training site. So why not add an additional UW Nav or other skill intensive dive. I actually think it just ends up being a fun dive for the instructor that the student pays for. Every dive in my AOW class has new in water skills that have been designed to increase comfort, safety, knowledge, and how to handle increased task loading under water. No freebies for me or the student. Still fun classes but work on every dive.

When I took my AOW training (via PADI), 2 of my 5 specialties were boat diver & drift diver. However, in the PADI curriculum for both of these specialties there apparently is not instruction included in the proper deployment of a SMB, particularly at depth & using a spool. Since this is a valuable skill to know when diving in the ocean (from a boat or drift diving), I'm curious to know if any instructors teach this as part of their training, or how many divers have been taught this skill in conjunction with either of these specialties?
I live and teach in an area that has little drift, ok none, and while diving off a boat can be done it is nothing like in the tropics or SoCal, so I am limit when I teach those courses. DSMB deployment is included in my deep, S&R and altitude AOW along with the specialty when done locally. When conducting training elsewhere it is added to the deep, S&R, boat or drift if in a place like Cozumel. In a couple of months I'm taking a group to Cozumel. Regardless of whether they are taking a class or not DSMB will be taught.

Around here we have instructors doing "altitude dives" for AOW. Again dumb because all the dives are at altitude if they use the one training site. So why not add an additional UW Nav or other skill intensive dive. I actually think it just ends up being a fun dive for the instructor that the student pays for.
I agree Jim. There are a number of things that can be taught during an altitude dive.

...//...I'm going to be getting some formal hands-on instruction in this skill very soon with an instructor, but am curious as to how/when the folks that can do this skill were taught. ...//....

NAUI AOW, the instructor had us lift an "object" from the bottom using a bag and reel. Wanted to see a clean stop at the surface. Next time I saw it formally it was midwater in my solo class, messed up bigtime.

Suggestion:

Ask your instructor to teach you both a finger spool with DSMB and a reel and bag. Time very well spent.

Like many things there can be some anxiety prior to performing a new skill, but after you do them they are a non-event. I know I was anxious about night diving prior to doing it, and it turned out to be diving with a flashlight, a total non-event. I suspect deploying a SMB will be the same for you. How you can damage or destroy your gear is a mystery to me. Yes a SMB deployment can be a mess but you may be over thinking this one. It would not hurt to get some instruction but this one does not involve rocket science or mortal peril.

hmm, I would say check out GUE primer or fundie if you don't mind spending a little more money.

If your SMB doesn't have an overpressure valve it can pop if deployed with too much gas when too deep. You could also get re-introduced to Mr. Boyles law if you accidently over-inflate it & get snagged by the spool line when holding position midwater if you're not paying attention to what you're doing. I'm not sayin it'll happen but just that you gotta pay attention to what you're doing & what's around you.

Clearly a useful skill. I'm not sure in which course(s) with which agency(ies) it is taught as a standard skill. I got in in my PADI Deep course, but I had an exceptional instructor for that and I do not think it is actually a required skill. I certainly did not get this in AOW, which as everyone says is far from an "advanced" course, so this isn't really surprising to me either. Best thing is to find a good instructor and let them know your interests and you will get a lot of non-required skills from whatever training you are doing. Unfortunately, "herd" classes like OW and AOW are not generally amenable to this type of flexible approach.

Cheers,
Tom

I learned it in Fundies, but my husband, who is a PADI instructor, teaches it in deep, boat, drift, and sometimes in AOW. It is not required in any of those classes; it is not required in any PADI recreational class.

Back
Top Bottom