silicone grease [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : silicone grease

Sponsored Link

tengsr
April 1st, 2012, 01:33 AM
I was digging through my glove box today, and found a thing of silicone grease...wtf? It has a dive flag on the lid, so it must be mine!!! Maybe something the LDS threw in to a bag when I bought something. So what are its main uses?

Scuba_Noob
April 1st, 2012, 01:57 AM
The only uses I know for silicone grease is lubing o-rings (e.g., in your regulator set, gauges, valves etc.) when you're taking stuff apart and/or when you're fixing a leak. Also, I use special types of silicone grease for my camera housing o-rings and my strobe o-rings.

Some people may use it to lube their facial hair so that water doesn't leak into the mask.

Bigd2722
April 1st, 2012, 07:19 AM
You can use it for any oring not involved in Nitrox (cameras, etc). After you rinse your knife, coat it with a very light coat and it can help prevent rusting.

kombiguy
April 1st, 2012, 08:28 AM
You can use it for any oring not involved in Nitrox (cameras, etc). After you rinse your knife, coat it with a very light coat and it can help prevent rusting.

You can even use it for nitrox, up to a point.

DivemasterDennis
April 1st, 2012, 10:00 AM
We use silicon grease applied the mask skirt to prevent/remedy mask leaking. If you have facial hair, it is the best thing to use. Apply small amount to mask skirt, though, not the facial hair.
DivemasterDennis

spectrum
April 1st, 2012, 04:37 PM
Brake calipers and head lamp bulb seals too!

j2s
April 1st, 2012, 07:25 PM
It has limited uses, zippers, knives etc. but I don't use it on any 1st or 2nd stage parts, or tank valves, nitrox or non-nitrox..... and maybe that's why your lds gave it away...

Scuba_Noob
April 2nd, 2012, 02:31 AM
My camera and strobe guides recommend using the manufacturer's o-ring grease and not a generic silicone grease to maintain/extend the lifetime of these o-rings. Probably just a way to get more money out of me, but still, one can't be too careful with these expensive equipment, especially if the manufacturer explicitly suggests it. I'm sure your grease is still good for most purposes.

moparmandjh
April 2nd, 2012, 02:22 PM
Silicon grease has saved a couple dives on rented tanks, a little on a leaking o-ring has done wonders.

drrich2
April 2nd, 2012, 03:51 PM
I rub some in the facial creases to either side of the nose (cheek borders, basically) to cut down on mask leakiness. Seems to help. I shave off the top of my mustache before diving.

Richard.

w ripley
April 2nd, 2012, 04:18 PM
O2 is only an issue when under "HIGH" pressure, and that means a heck of a lot more than the low pressure the second stage reg works on. So, I use it on everything (yeah, I have the O2 clean stuff but only use it on the O2 bottle's 1st stage "O" rings):

Din threads - all regulators, even O2 bottles
HP & LP hose fittings
All "O" rings - everywhere
Everything on my rebreather (loop hose connections, etc.)
Anything with threads on it - SS, plastic, etc.
Zippers, other than the rubber dry zipper on a dry suit
Si Tech Dry Gloves "O" rings & docking tubes
DUI zip seals - it really works better than anything I've tried
Quick Disconnect male & female fittings (bailout bottles)
Quick disconnects for LP hoses, usually the male stud ends
Bail-Out Valve internal components
Wings inflater internal components
Wings dump valve seal
If it goes underwater, then I use it

If anybody has some you just don't want, please send it my way!

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1